GFCI shared neutral

Users who are viewing this thread

Glen1

Reaction score
I am running 12-3 from my main panel to 2 separate GFCI outlets for a washer and dryer. Is it safe and code to supply 1 outlet with BLACK, the other with RED, and share the neutral? Would I have to terminate in a j-box and run 2 separate 12-2 to each outlet or can I split the neutral in the same box as the 2 outlets? Each outlet has its own 20A breaker on a different phase. Should I use a double pole breaker?

Stuff

Reaction score
What you are proposing should be fine. With using 12/3 you have a MWBC and code requires you need to pigtail the neutral, not daisy-chain. Double pole breaker is easiest (handle-tie is also allowed for adjacent breakers on different phases).

Latest codes require AFCI for laundry areas so see if that is needed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not sure it will work right. A GFCI compares the inlet and outlet power between the hot and neutral and when they don't match, exceeding about 5ma, it trips. You'll almost never get the hot/neutral even in a shared circuit...but, I'm not sure. What does the installation instructions on the GFCI say?

I'm curious as well.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My detached garage is on a MWBC with individual GFCI receptacles and there is no issue there. Consider that the difference in potential during a ground fault is between the blades of the receptacle, and it makes sense that it works fine.

Stuff

Reaction score
GFCI receptacles don't care if it is a MWBC as long as they are not fed from one another. L1 goes to line side terminal of one receptacle, L2 to the other, with a wire nut N goes to both.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks