Geo gurgles after stopping.

Users who are viewing this thread

RonL1

Reaction score
When a geo turns off, should it make a gurgle type sound like the water is equalizing, or maybe boiling ? (Open loop) operation is fine, water valve opens, fan turns on, compressor starts. It finishes its cooling and everything turns off. And now I hear a gurgling, doesn't really sound like boiling, but could be. If it was, wouldnt there be bubbles working there way through on the next start up ? It lasts maybe 30 seconds or so. It could have always done this, I'm not sure, I just happened to notice it. Is that a normal thing ? No bubbles in the outflow .

Fitter30

Reaction score
Geothermal system does it have a dhw tank? Geo system is making the noise it might be short of water or a bad check valve that system water is draining back down sucking air through the open system. What type of system pump do u have?

RonL1

Reaction score
Geothermal system does it have a dhw tank? Geo system is making the noise it might be short of water or a bad check valve that system water is draining back down sucking air through the open system. What type of system pump do u have?
No pump, this is open loop pumping straight from well. It really sounds like the freon is readjusting or reacclimating when it shuts off. I started listening to other compressors, my refrigerator, dehumidifier... they both make similar sounds when they turn off. I just never really heard it before (or paid attention to it) 3 ton unit running at 5 gpm. I have a clear flow tube for the gpm measurement and you can see good flow, no bubbles, no air. It runs fine.. 78 incomming air 55 at the registers (after 4-6 minutes running) runtime while it's 95 degrees outside is 14-16 minutes. But is much less during the morning and evenings.
It's a Miami heat pump.

Fitter30

Reaction score
When the compressor shuts off pressures are equalizing in the system. Usually takes up to a few minutes for the refrigerate pressures to even out. Heat pumps have a reversing valve some are energised for cooling others for heating. When valve is energised unit shut down on by thermostat valve powers down changes position and refrigerant makes more noise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks