Generator GFI tripping

Users who are viewing this thread

Nar

Reaction score
Trying to run my 1/2hp 120 v deep well pump off my 7500e generac generator but GFI plugs keep tripping when well pump is plugged in
.but when I use my 2000w Honda generator GFI works fine .
Need answers ,I'm at a loss

Last edited by a moderator:

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
Trying to run my 1/2hp 120 v deep well pump off my 7500e generac generator but GFI plugs keep tripping when well pump is plugged in
.but when I use my 2000w Honda generator GFI works fine .
Need answers ,I'm at a loss
You have a neutral to ground fault will cause a GFCI to trip. Take a meter disconnect the the wires at the well head (power off) test for continuity between white and green (or bare copper) wires any reading other than infinity can cause the GFCI to trip. If that reading is good then the 7500 GFCI needs replacement. They don’t last forever.

Reach4

Reaction score
I can imagine more than one cause.

If the frame of the 7500e Generac generator is touching the grass etc, but the plastic Honda housing insulates its frame from the grass, that could cause a difference. If the legs of the Generac are not insulated, you could prop them up on a dry piece of wood, or whatever, so there is no contact with the grass/dirt and see if that makes a difference.

Measure the ohms from ground pin of the pump plug to either of the flat blades. Over 1 megohm, or what?

Another possibility is that one GFI has a lower trip point.

I have another workaround idea, but let's hold that one.

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
I was never able to get any GFI to play nicely with my pump setup. Everything was perfect, all leads were insulated and isolated. The readings on a meter were fine. Ohm readings were book perfect. The breakers just didn't participate. I imagine they saw something I didnt... but i am still lost too. It was explained to me in another thread that one pole on a submerged pump is always supposed to create an imbalance and thats what gfi's look for.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even the GFI at my kitchen sink trips for no reason. Pumps will run with quite a bit of a short in them. I have seen them with enough of a short to trip a GFI every time, replace with a standard breaker, and the pump lasts another 10+ years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks