Gas furnace/water tank termination?

Users who are viewing this thread

John28

Reaction score
I have an unfinished attic I rarely go in, but recently went in and noticed the duct for the gas furnace/ water tank is corroded where it goes through the roof sheathing. It has pin holes in it, so metal taped it, until it can be replaced.

This was probably done 20 years or so ago by professional HVAV people who installed the furnace. But now even question if it was legal with what they did? I have flexible line going up in clay duct, which the clay duct is incased in asbestos, and where the flex line comes out there is about 1 foot of corroded duct before it goes through the roof sheathing to the stack?

First to me this corroded section looks like C duct, which I question if even legal? And secondly there's minimal clearance between the duct and sheathing too? Although at this distance from the furnace I checked, and I can lay my hand on it with the furnace running and the duct does not get that hot.

Not sure if this duct runs through the flashing boot and is also the stack too? as I haven't been on the roof yet? But looks like this 1-foot section of duct could be secured to the stack up under the flashing boot possibly but can't really see up the duct to where it exits the flashing from looking through the sheathing gap where the duct goes through from the attic.

Question this is a 5inch duct that is corroded, can I remove it without messing with the flashing and shingles? As there is no leakage at the roof area, and this will all be redone correctly at next new roof coming up in a few years or so.

Could I get approx. a 3 foot section of B duct, a storm collar, and adapter to hook the flex line too? These 3 feet of b duct would replace the 1-foot corroded section, within the attic peak going through the sheathing, as the addition 2 feet to make the stack up?

And if so what kind of connecter is needed from the b duct to hook on the flexible duct, all I see are draft hood collars? Thanks

Attachments

• vent.jpg
    vent.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Call someone that can access our problem. Flue that rusts out is one that isn't correct. Might not be tall enough wrong size for the btu's.

John28

Reaction score
Call someone that can access our problem. Flue that rusts out is one that isn't correct. Might not be tall enough wrong size for the btu's.
Hard to tell, it's at least 20 years old, my thought was on really cold days this section of duct is sweating from being so cold as the heat goes through, and finally rotted after 20 years?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I cant follow this that good and the picture sucks so about all I can tell you if there is bad work going on, fix it . the roof is shot so lets not worry about that whats the big deal if you did need a flashing or a few shingles ?
Mayby youve got single wall spilling into the b vent between the double wall? also the clearance to wood needs 1 inch

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks