Funky smell from hot water heater closet??

Users who are viewing this thread

MHarless81

Reaction score
Hey, so I don't really use forums like this very often, but I'm in need of some answers please. I moved into a newly built 2 story townhouse. In my kitchen (ground level) there is a large closet with a brand new washing machine and dryer and right next to that closet is another large closet which contains the hot water heater. Everything was brand new and freshly built when I moved in about 9 months ago. A couple months ago I started noticing a musty or mildew like smell coming from my washing machine, at least I thought that was the problem. I used the self clean mode with some bleach and started leaving the washing machine door open so it can vent and dry better between uses. It seemed to work and all was fine, until the next load of laundry I did. The smell was back, and then by the next day it was gone again so I didn't think much of it. Since then I have noticed that while doing laundry the smell gets really strong, but it isn't coming from the washing machine, instead it is coming from the closet containing the hot water heater. I've looked for moisture or a leak or something, but there is nothing. I let the room air out over night and it is gone, but like I said as soon as I wash another load of clothes it is back and strong and coming from the WH closet... any ideas or suggestions??? Please help. I googled and googled, but I haven't found anything with that specific problem. Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
See if water is dripping from the temperature and pressure relief valve, and getting stuff wet. Put a container under the pipe to catch any water.

Is there a floor drain in that closet with the WH?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
floor drain in w/h closet ? trap might need primed. oops I see reach 4 just suggested floor drain possibly.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey, so I don't really use forums like this very often, but I'm in need of some answers please. I moved into a newly built 2 story townhouse. In my kitchen (ground level) there is a large closet with a brand new washing machine and dryer and right next to that closet is another large closet which contains the hot water heater. Everything was brand new and freshly built when I moved in about 9 months ago. A couple months ago I started noticing a musty or mildew like smell coming from my washing machine, at least I thought that was the problem. I used the self clean mode with some bleach and started leaving the washing machine door open so it can vent and dry better between uses. It seemed to work and all was fine, until the next load of laundry I did. The smell was back, and then by the next day it was gone again so I didn't think much of it. Since then I have noticed that while doing laundry the smell gets really strong, but it isn't coming from the washing machine, instead it is coming from the closet containing the hot water heater. I've looked for moisture or a leak or something, but there is nothing. I let the room air out over night and it is gone, but like I said as soon as I wash another load of clothes it is back and strong and coming from the WH closet... any ideas or suggestions??? Please help. I googled and googled, but I haven't found anything with that specific problem. Thank you!
All fixed?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks