Fluidmaster 400 anti-siphon not refilling properly after toilet flush

Users who are viewing this thread

ihatefluidmaster

Reaction score
Previously I had a fluidmaster 400, I dont remember if it came with the toilet or if a plumber was called to fix it. Anyways, for the past couple months to a year, it has been acting up, I don't rmember how much in detail, but I do know that of recently (at least 2 months or so), the water in the tank would randomly refill. The most recent issue was the water draining right after being refilled and vice versa. After playing around with everything, I found out that whenever I took the water out of the float cup, everything returned back to normal, until the watrer eventually found it's way back into it and then repeat. Well i ended up buying new one and everything seemed to work as it is supposed to. Until I noticed that the water would drain a little bit, and then refill in a rapid succesion. This drainage/refill pattern never happened with the old fluidmaster. Anyways with a little tampering, I managed to stop it. This is when I realised that something was wrong. Now what the toilet does is it may not refill the water past 1/8/1/10 of the tank. So it will appear to be refilling, but water is also being drained at the same time causing the water level to remain the same or refill very very very very very very very very slowly. And how do I manage to get it working again? I shake the water out of the float cup. It hasn't been up to 2 weeks yet. Not only am i upset that this is a new product, im also mad that my brother (who isn't an idiot), for some reason is never aware whenever the toilet is running constantly and never puts in an effort to figure out what wrong with it because he's too concerned trying to learn every ****ing useless word their is to know in the english vocabulary, meaning water will continously be wasted unless I just happen to hear the toilet. And it's ****ed up because he always uses it .

Why is water continously going into the float cup and giving me this problem?

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You are most likely looking in the wrong place.

Your problem is most likely that your FLAPPER is failing, and the Fluidmaster is running in order to replace the water lost past the flapper.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
After you fix the flapper issue, maybe you should try fixing your brother's issue. just a suggestion.

ihatefluidmaster

Reaction score
OK so it turns out that the chain that lifts up the flapper when you press the toilet handle, was getting in the way of the bottom of the flapper which prevented it from closing properly. Now I just make sure the chain doesn't get in between the flapper. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same problem others might have had especially if the chain connecting the handle and the flapper has been adjusted too long. I'm not sure sure the water was refilling and draining in rapid succession previously, but that doesn't happen anymore so i'm ok with it Probably something with the water pressure level.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
OK so it turns out that the chain that lifts up the flapper when you press the toilet handle, was getting in the way of the bottom of the flapper which prevented it from closing properly. Now I just make sure the chain doesn't get in between the flapper.

Yes. People don't realize how important the chain length is. That's one reason that Korky actually tries to tell people how many links of chain they should use for a particular toilet. Too many and the chain will get caught under the flapper and not lift the flapper high enough when the handle is depressed. Too few, and the chain will hold the flapper off the seat, often imperceptibly, so that people think there's something wrong with the flapper. Also, too short chain will prevent the flapper from fully opening, usually, leading to misfires and not enough water in the flush. It's really important to get it just right.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have repeated issues with the metal chain, switch to a flapper with a plastic lift strap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks