Fleck 5810 keeps draining water

Users who are viewing this thread

ThomasT

Reaction score
I recently replaced the piston valve of the controller. After that, I noticed that the water softener keeps slowly draining water. Is it normal? It keeps slowly dripping through the drain line even when it is put in bypass. I don't remember the softer acted like this before. The flow indicator does not flash when there's no water usage in the house. However, I wonder if the water softener still consumes water and drains it directly? Any suggestion? Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I recently replaced the piston valve of the controller. After that, I noticed that the water softener keeps slowly draining water.
No, not normal. What was the symptom that caused you to replace the piston?

You may have used the wrong piston. The 5810 pistons have been unavailable for a while, and it is possible you bought the one that was available rather than the one you should have. What color was the cap on the old one and the replacement? The problem could be the seal pack. That would be good, because seal packs are available.

You could try turning the seal pack end for end, and see if the symptoms change. Get some Dow release compound No. 7 or Chemplex 862 release compound to lightly lube the seal sealing edges and the place where those will contact the piston.

Still got the old piston? Do you see a flaw visibly? Don't discard it yet.

T Kelsey

Reaction score
Hi, I too have a Fleck 5810sxt. 1-2 months ago I had a power failure. When it came back on the water thru clear drain tube kept running. I rest the controller and it seemed to be operating. Later.. I get a call from the water company that my month to month water usage was thousands of gallons higher. It turns out it was again doing what happened after the power outage... just kept running water through the drain tube. I purchased this from a place no longer in business... it was installed June of 2017. Thoughts on how I fix. I read in one of these forums about possible issues with the sealer part in this vintage. But sounds like also valve problems? And if I need to replace valve and seals how do I know which valve to purchase (ie looks like they come with different colored dots to indicate which one.. and I haven't taken it apart yet to see)... Water softener currently in bypass valve so I quit wasting water. Thanks for any help/advice you can provide. My last Fleck was entry and lasted 20 years... 4 years seems way too fast unless engineered poorly.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could try turning off the power, for a bit, maybe 10 seconds, and turn it back on.

What does your display say, when this water coming out of the drain line continuously? Does it maybe say "ER 4" ?

T Kelsey

Reaction score
Thank you for the super fast reply. I'm away from the unit for a few days but as soon a I return next week I will try and post what happens.

T Kelsey

Reaction score
Thank you for the super fast reply. I'm away from the unit for a few days but as soon a I return next week I will try and post what happens.
Hi, I'm back home so could try what you recommended. I unplugged the valve for 15 seconds then plugged it back in. It made a mechanical sound when turned back on and the display flashes... but no error code.. just time and gallons left. I then turned on the bypass valves and the water still drains thru the clear tube.

Reach4

Reaction score
5810 pistons seem to be back in stock

T Kelsey

Reaction score
Hi all, it was a 'frozen' piston/seal pack in my case so I'm back up and running. Thanks to Reach4 for all the advice he provided. Also, it does appear there was a change to the piston. In the photo the top piston is the old one. Note the gray section in the lower 1/3 of it. It seems to be made out of a different material. The new one on the bottom is all black and one material. Hopefully, this one lasts longer then four years.

Attachments

• pistoncompare.jpg
    pistoncompare.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 171

ThomasT

Reaction score
Hi all, it was a 'frozen' piston/seal pack in my case so I'm back up and running. Thanks to Reach4 for all the advice he provided. Also, it does appear there was a change to the piston. In the photo the top piston is the old one. Note the gray section in the lower 1/3 of it. It seems to be made out of a different material. The new one on the bottom is all black and one material. Hopefully, this one lasts longer then four years.
What does "frozen" piston/seal pack mean? Is it stuck and won't move? I had a power failure recently and the water softener starts constantly draining water. I checked the piston and it is not broken though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks