Fleck 5600sxt -- All suggested troubleshooting complete. What's next?

Users who are viewing this thread

basquith

Reaction score
Hello!

We had a Fleck 5600SXT installed back in April of this year (2023) along with a passive chlorine removal tank. It is our second water softener system (previous was Fleck 7000 I believe).

A few weeks ago our water went hard and we cannot seem to figure out why it is not working. I finally got around to troubleshooting it last week and have exhausted all suggestions.

What I've done:
1. Tested the suction.
a. I did the glass of water test first, it removed water from the glass.
b. I then rinsed the safety valve with hot water and made sure the ball inside was free to move.
c. I regenerated and made sure that all of the brine was being sucked out of the tank.

2. I removed the dlfc washer and made sure there was no clog or buildup.

I haven't found any suggestions beyond those things as to what the issue could be or any further troubleshooting. My water remains around 200ppm. The only thing that seems odd to me is that amount of water that comes out of the drain hose. The hose is inserted into a graveled trench and in that immediate area there is 1-2inches of water during parts of the regeneration. Unfortunately, I have nothing to compare it to because when working normally it runs at 2am, so it is possible that it is normal behavior.

Any thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
A tds meter does not measure softness. A softener will not decrease TDS. It would typically increase TDS a bit.

To measure hardness, get a Hach 5-B test.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Excellent! Softeners are ion exchange, meaning they remove an ion and exchange it for another. Calcium and magnesium are exchanged for sodium. A TDS meter is not a real test device. You need a tester that specifically differentiates between hardness and softness. Hach 5B is my recommendation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks