Fleck 5600 SXT 48K vs 64K which is right for my situation?

Users who are viewing this thread

MAD MARK

Reaction score
Hello all,

Long time lurker decided to go ahead and buy a new softener after messing with the old one (Kenmore) that came with my house that is no longer functional (mother board/lcd).

After some looking seems like the Fleck 5600 SXT is pretty standard and reliable. My situation.

5 people (age 40-38-6-5-3)
Well water
Hardness ~200-250 (250/17.1=14.5)
Low Iron (minimal staining on toilets)

Would the 48K (1.5 10x53) or the 64K (2.0 12x48) be better? I was leaning towards the 48 as 1 calculation I did had that out to be regen every 7 days. This is the 48K and the 64K I am looking at below. I will also be adding a full house filter before this softener. TIA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010MR6T2I/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/Fleck-5600SXT-Digital-whole-softener/dp/B004GET6Z6

Bannerman

Reaction score
What method are you using to determine water hardness?

Since iron is present, the quantity of iron and manganese will impact the size of softener and the settings needed. Suggest obtaining a comprehensive lab test of the raw water so as to assist to determine appropriate treatment methods.

National Labs offer a Standard Well package that will be appropriate. http://watercheck.myshopify.com/?aff=5

FYI, the appropriate tank dimension needed for a softener containing 2 ft3 of resin is 12" X 52", not 12" X 48" .

MAD MARK

Reaction score
What method are you using to determine water hardness?

Since iron is present, the quantity of iron and manganese will impact the size of softener and the settings needed. Suggest obtaining a comprehensive lab test of the raw water so as to assist to determine appropriate treatment methods.

National Labs offer a Standard Well package that will be appropriate. http://watercheck.myshopify.com/?aff=5

FYI, the appropriate tank dimension needed for a softener containing 2 ft3 of resin is 12" X 52", not 12" X 48" .

We have a water harness check at work that I used.

I knew that iron would impact the size and settings. I was going to get an actual test done at local water place. Was just wondering if I am on the right trail.

I am going off the details in the listing to say that the 2.0 ft3 and it states it is 12x48. Maybe a typo on the lister?

Bannerman

Reaction score
I anticipate the 48" tank is because the seller will not be including gravel under bedding to reduce his shipping cost for not only the weight saving for the gravel, but also the smaller package dimension. Buying water treatment online is not recommended as low price is usually #1 priority.

To use gravel under bedding (recommended), a 12X48 is appropriate for only 1.7 ft3 media. A 2 ft3 system should include a 12X52 tank.

5 ppl X 60 gallons/day (typical average) X 15 gpg hardness = 4,500 grains hardness load/day.

Salt consumption, usable capacity, regeneration frequency and soft water quality are highly conditional on the salt setting chosen. The usual recommendation is 8 lbs salt per cubic foot of resin as that will provide the best balance of each.

A 1.5 ft3 softener will provide 36,000 grains usable capacity while utilizing 12 lbs salt (8 lbs/ft3). 36,000 gr / 4,500 gr
= 8 days capacity - 1 day reserve capacity = 7-8 days estimated between regeneration cycles.

A 2 ft3 softener will provide 48,000 grains usable capacity while utilizing 16 lbs salt (8lbs/ft3). 48,000 gr / 4,500 gr = 10.7 days capacity - 1 day reserve capacity = 9-10 days estimated between regeneration cycles.

If there is no significant iron or manganese in the water which will also consume softener capacity, the 1.5 ft3 unit would be the minimum size recommended for your usage, but a true 2 ft3 unit will reduce the regeneration frequency and therefore should reduce regeneration water usage and discharge to your septic system. A 2 ft3 unit will also support a slightly higher flow rate before hardness will begin to leak through the softener.

When iron is significant, the regeneration frequency will often need to be increased, which may negate the benefit of a larger softener.

The Fleck 5600 is a capable valve, but is a several decades old design that is best suited for 3/4" plumbing systems. You didn't mention your main supply line diameter.

Fleck's newest valve models include 5800 (3/4"), 5810 (1") & 5812 (1.25").

Last edited:

MAD MARK

Reaction score
The Fleck 5600 is a capable valve, but is a several decades old design that is best suited for 3/4" plumbing systems. You didn't mention your main supply line diameter.

Fleck's newest valve models include 5800 (3/4"), 5810 (1") & 5812 (1.25").

Main supply line off a 1/2 HP well pump is 3/4" and quickly necks down to 1/2" after the installed (non-working) conditioner.

In saying the 58XX models are newer is fine, but it seems that my limiting factor is the line size. Thanks for the information.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks