First bathroom remodel Deck House

Users who are viewing this thread

Deck House NIC

Reaction score
I'd love feedback and encouragement along the way of this remodel. I own a 1965 Deck House in New England. Deck Houses are funky. They are a post and beam homes. Plumbing is through the walls. There is nothing between the two floors except solid wood.

I am renovating my daughter's bathroom. Almost all done with the demolition (all done by me) with input from my father-in-law. My toilets are wall mounts. So far, I removed wallpaper and glue. Decided to take the shower surround to the studs. Appears they used green board. Some minimal mold found at soap insert.

The area behind the toilet was tiled and had damage from prior leak (actually posted it in this forum). A contractor came in early on and changed out the underlayment and cemented tiles in place (see pics of tiles that will not come off with hammer drill). I now need to cut that piece out and really look at the water damage under it. We were told the carrier was installed wrong. But that was when it was closed up. Hopefully we'll have the plumber come in soon to replace the shower stack and check out the carrier since he installed our Gerber Maxwell.

Sink is also out. Mirror and light will be replaced.

I'm planning on using Schluter for kerdi board surround and kerdi uncoupling membrane for floor. A lot more expensive but appears really solid and something I can tackle.

I have lots more to do and figure out but these are my first questions.

Questions:

Should I encapsulate (paint) the areas of mold before closing up with kerdi board?

What kind of carrier is that? It's only bolted on the studs, not on the flooring. Is that correct? There are spaces for a bolt at the feet but none there. I can see my other toilet mount under the vent in to the bathroom and no floor bolt there either. I cannot find anything on this carrier online. Should we look at installing a new carrier for our Gerber Maxwell?

For the floor, it's solid wood all the way done due to the post and beam style of home. I know I have to cut out the cemented tile section. Wondering about removing all the underlayment?

Thanks!!

IMG_4025 - Edited.jpg

IMG_4046 - Edited.jpg

IMG_4050 - Edited.jpg

IMG_4015 - Edited.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Kerdi is designed for making a shower waterproof. OUtside of the shower, they recommend using Ditra on the flooring.

can't help with your other questions...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That looks to be a standard 4 bolt carrier for a 1960's wall hung bowl. American standard makes two that work, Gerber makes their Maxwell wall hung and there are more. The carrier is fine.

You may want to pick up some 5/8" nuts and large washers at the hardware. Sometimes the bolts are out too far for the cap nuts to work.
Or you can add a washer or two if needed.

Deck House NIC

Reaction score
Yes. Kerdi board for the framing and ditra for the floor (uncoupling membrane). I'm still figuring out best way to transition and seam things.

Thanks Terry! I'm still waiting for the plumber to all me back who installed the Gerber. It's good to know that the current carriers are ok. He had mentioned he thought they had were installed wrong but that was when the wall was still closed up. Generally this house seems to have been built pretty well so hoping things work out ok.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks