External French drain going into internal sump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gnfanatic

Reaction score
Bad idea?? Hello everyone. Building an extention on my house with a full basement. Water table is 10.3 ' so exterior French channel and water proofing walls is absolutely a must. I got the walls ready to go and I have 4in green pipe coming with 2 rows of holes on the bottom. This is the dilemma..... if I have basin outside I need it to be at least 12' long to go deep enough because the pipe is 8' deep. Where do you buy such a thing? OR run a 4in pipe under my footing into an interior basin. Much easier and cheaper but would you go this route??

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can bury a 12" or 14" pipe upright and drop a pump down into it.

The main question is where are you going to pump the water?

Gnfanatic

Reaction score
Hi John. Out to the street like everyone else on the block. Good thing is that it is a rare occurrence, just want to do it right the first time

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have seen a design where the perimeter drains all flow to one spot outside of the building. From that spot there is a large pipe buried up on end (like a manhole but a man won't fit). The pump is then lowered down into the hole with a small chain and piped to a 2" pipe that is pretty shallow, which then gravity feeds to another tile away from the building. I liked that idea.

I've also ran them to a pit in the house, but that's not my favorite.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Very rough drawing
Screenshot_20240128-133357_Gallery.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks