Electric Water Heater Jbox & Whip

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Wightman

Reaction score
Hello -

I have an electric water heater. Whirlpool E2F40RD045V. I would like to install a junction box and whip to hide and protect the electrical cord. I need help determining what will work?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Any water heater installed with a power cord like a dyer cord must be changed to direct wire when the WH is replaced. Most water heaters are wired with 10 gauge wire and the breaker is 30 Amps. Older homes, before 1980's may be 20 amp breaker with 12 gauge wire. For the whip, use a stranded wire between the wall junction box and the WH.

I hope this answers your question.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My understanding is that storage type electric resistance water heaters of greater than 5 gallons are not listed by UL to be cord and plug connected. Hence the need to hard wire them.

But if you change an improperly cord-and-plug connected water heater to hardwire, I believe you will need to add a disconnect, unless the circuit breaker that supplies the water heater happens to be in sight form the water heater. Not 100% sure, as I don't follow the disconnect rules that closely.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks