Educating the Higher End Client of what to look for in High End Linear Drains

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I cleaned it with soap and water only. Then I scratched the channel body with the wording. My channel body did not rust.

I'm wondering if it is the feet on the tile top insert grate Schluter makes.

Do you have a mailing address. I'll hack this Kerdi Line drain in two for you. Do you want the left or right side?

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Did you try cleaning it -- the channel body -- with any SS cleaning products ? Looking for the black residue explanation -- why it did happen ?

I would take any side you are willing to send --- the one

Linear drain body clean up 001.jpg

showing the problem I have ;) --- and if you are serious about sending it , I will email you the mailing address .

The unexpected reaction of the SS 316 vs. what is suppose to be able to withstand as per -- http://www.precisionsteel.com/stainless-steel/type-316 --
doesn't make sense .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Email your address Roberto.

I'll make sure you get some Chubby's as well. Do you prefer working with a 7 or 9 inch Chubby?

Here is a shot of my seven incher in action. Well really it's more like six and a half right now....

modern-.jpg

I'll get my neighbour to film the cutting of the Kerdi Line Drain for me on his IPhone 5S - will do it "Slow Mo"..... lol

What a great Sunday activity!

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Too kind of you ..... It is really no rush -- take the Sunday off -- LOL ..... I wish I could be there to assist you with the '' Slow Mo '' operation ......

7'' Chuby will do .

:)Thanks John .:)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
No worries.

I'll send along a hunk of an ACO drain as well for your made lab testing.

Remember Roberto - you don't want any phone calls from suppliers. So if you share your test data make sure everyone knows your just a skilled tile installer and bathroom builder. Tell people you do not work in a controlled lab and that your testing is by no ways "Official" - the term "Garage Style" should be used as a disclaimer.

Remember when I filled up the Kerdi Niches with water....? That was crazy and so not how it's done. You should not test a water proof vapour proof niche with 3" of water. Way to much pressure or something like that on them.

I did learn these past few weeks that the Kerdi Board Niche once re-waterproofed with Ardex 8+9 can hold up to this kind of test. With out the Ardex 8+9 I think you are suppose to tile and grout and then add an inch or so of water.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Remember Roberto - you don't want any phone calls from suppliers. So if you share your test data make sure everyone knows your just a skilled tile installer and bathroom builder. Tell people you do not work in a controlled lab and that your testing is by no ways "Official" - the term "Garage Style" should be used as a disclaimer.

The suppliers don't like me anyway , I bet they don't have any interest(s) in calling me LOL .

The product is already in place -- not in a lab -- , like all of the products I use , so I would worry about it . However , I will keep in mind how sensitive some subject could be .

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
So having a little more time to look at the problem at hand , the first step was to look at the cleaning product first .

The product is "PEEK" and is labeled as safe and recommended for use over Chrome and SS , among others , which interests me .
Cleaning product used 003.jpg

While looking at the ingredients
Cleaning product used 001.jpg

I found an ingredient -- aluminum oxide - which may be the cause of the reaction I have at hand.

I will not jump to any conclusions yet , but the reaction looks similar when used over the SS grate -- not used in my application --

Cleaning S grate 002.jpg

I can also mention that the residue is not present when cleaning chrome parts -- custom chrome grate --

Cleaning chrome custom grate 002.jpg

Cleaning chrome custom grate 003.jpg

So at this point the question remains ....... why the residue is present when applied to the SS ? Is this a normal reaction -- oxidation -- taking place and I shouldn't worry about the protection and use over the SS ?

Here is an example of the cleaning towels used for the chrome and SS -- side by side --

Cleaning sheets -- grate and channel body -- sie by side.jpg

Will have more updates when available :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Weird.

Your custom drain looks amazing Roberto.

Can you try that test on the ACO drain sample as well. Never cut the Kerdi Line yesterday. Had Papa over for supper. Will cut it today.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Thanks John . :)

I didn't get any answers -- yet :( -- from the S , nor I do care if any will be send , at this stage .

I did call the Tri-Peek manufacturer of the cleaning product and the reaction is normal one . The product cleans the brushed SS -- which is quite hard to clean -- oxidation off , but needs a prolonged rubbing with clean towel -- not the same one used to apply the product -- .

The good news about this product is the safe use over quite a big range of materials used in a shower or bathroom -- glass , porcelain , SS , chrome and many others . Check out the link bellow
http://www.tripeek.com/products.html
http://www.tripeek.com/products.html

And contacting them was stellar experience -- thank you --

http://www.tripeek.com/contact.html

John , I did try the product on the strainer -- this is how it looked after a week of use

Channel body & strainer after a week use 001.jpg

Channel body & strainer after a week use 003.jpg

Channel body & strainer after a week use 004.jpg

Channel body & strainer after a week use 005.jpg

and I got a similar reaction on the electropolished strainer .

Cleaning the strainer 001.jpg

Cleaning the strainer 002.jpg

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I have to continue with a follow up post -- due to limitations in place -- ......

so

Cleaning the strainer 003.jpg

The conclusions of the cleaning experience are pretty satisfying and now , after all concerns removed -- thanks to the fast ( 1/2hour from contacting them could fall into a very fast response ) and to the point reply of the cleaning product customer service -- , I can say the Peek cleaner , polisher , protector is really working . I sure do recommend it ....here is how it looks after using it

Cleanned channel body & grate 002.jpg

Cleanned channel body & grate 003.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Aluminum oxide is often used to make sandpaper...as a polish, it is very finely ground, but it is still an abrasive. Guess what you get when you essentially grind metal...the material you grind off often looks black, especially when it contains steel. Much to do about nothing. Use it to polish a nickel or most any metal (chrome is harder and you don't 'grind' off as much, but it's there) and your cloth will turn dark. That residue is no reliable indication of the material used, and especially on a product that has not already been polished (like the drain body), you'll get more residue as you 'smooth' it out in the polishing process - thus the black.

A non-abrasive cleaner would not show the black, unless the crud you're removing caused it, but not from the metal itself.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I guess no abrasive -- :rolleyes: -- materials were used to create the hard to maintain finished of the SS -- brushed SS -- .

The forced applied to cleaning is almost none existant -- not comparable , period -- vs. sanding procedures . If in the long run the surface of the ''rough'' state -- brushed SS -- is becoming a more polished surface , I will definitely prefer it rather then the opposite .
The rubbing is and has to be done along the grain of the SS .

I know this will not make sense to you -- adding this post -- John , but it is directed to the above post -- not mine -- and I will not quote any of it .

Next step will be to see how the Gel-Gloss will perform on it . Will see in a few weeks .

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The point being, an abrasive will take more off of a 'raw' surface than one already polished, but it will take some off anytime you use one, and that will show up as black on your polishing rag when dealing with any type of steel, I don't care how you rub it.

Ignore me if you wish, you just show how biased and inconsiderate you are to others. Others have noticed. Ignore goes both ways!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Roberto. I'm sending you the off cut ACO drain as well. Like to see how it reacts with the ACO Channel Body. The cleaner seemed to help the Kerdi Line drain's low sheen level out. I like the look of the drain better with the product applied.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
The point being, an abrasive will take more off of a 'raw' surface than one already polished, but it will take some off anytime you use one, and that will show up as black on your polishing rag when dealing with any type of steel, I don't care how you rub it.

Ignore me if you wish, you just show how biased and inconsiderate you are to others. Others have noticed. Ignore goes both ways!

Must be something I am not aware -- the ignoring part -- but it seems you know -- as usual -- more than I know .

You can spin the abrasive point as much as you want , the SS will not be compromised in any way by the steps I am taking . And since Schluter -- ignored and DID NOT reply -- makes the products , it is their responsibility to give a go or not to a specific cleaning product . Do not care any more of what they have to say nor I do care of any of your biased opinions to orange products .

Now , I have to go back to my rubbing polishing procedures:rolleyes:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Thanks for the feedback Roberto. I'm sending you the off cut ACO drain as well. Like to see how it reacts with the ACO Channel Body. The cleaner seemed to help the Kerdi Line drain's low sheen level out. I like the look of the drain better with the product applied.

Can't wait to receive them John . Hats off to you . :)

I hope that in the long run , the maintenance of the channel body will become easier and free of build ups . Rinsing is a priority after each shower .

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Nobody said you couldn't polish anything you want! The point was, when you do it, you will get some black on your cloth, and that's what got John all up 'worried' about it...I don't care whose you use, it will happen exactly the same, but if it is already polished, just like using very fine sandpaper on already sanded wood, you won't get as much as if you were working with something rougher. If you really wanted it prettier quickly, use a powered buffing wheel, not by hand.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
The intention was to clean and protect the brushed SS -- form a protective film for easy maintenance -- , not to polish it . The residue appeared in cleaning the SS and is my understanding that it is a removal of the chromium oxide , not the SS itself -- metal particles -- .

With the addition of the polish feature of the product , I think it adds the needed ingredient -- completes the process -- . The channel body is not visible and polishing it slowly -- long term cleaning -- will do .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks