Easy, I think: Can a regular elbow trainsition from a vertical to horizontal drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

kmuddzy

Reaction score
Regardless of pipe size, can a regular elbow be used to transition from a vertical drain to a horizontal drain or is a long sweep elbow required?

In my specific situation: I have a 1.5" drain pipe from a 2nd floor bathroom sink dropping vertically down through the floor. The floor below is finished so I need to trainsition to horizontal using an elbow and run between the floor joists. Space is very tight so a regular elbow will get me the proper slope but the bigger dimensions of a long sweep elbow will drop my run below the 1/4" per foot. I know I can't use a vent elbow but since this is vertical, can I use a regular elbow?

THANKS!

kmuddzy

Reaction score
Ahhh...so not good for me. I am going vertical to horizontal and I don't have the room for a long sweep. This has just made a simple solution very difficult....

But, thanks for your quick reply!!!

kmuddzy

Reaction score
check with your inspector

I thought I would close this thread with some common sense advice for any newbies that might search this thread in the future.

Always call your Township inspector if you have a difficult situation.

I called my township's inspector and he will allow me to transition from a vertical drain to a horizontal drain using a regular elbow if there is only 1 fixture "loading" that transition. He would prefer a long sweep elbow but wouldn't reject the regular. Due to a lack of space, this saves me a ton of work, and maybe I am wrong but I don't believe a regular elbow in the vertical position will be prone to clog.

Plumber111

In the Trades
Reaction score
The medium sweep will transition between horizontal to vertical.

From vertical to horizontal is where the long turn is needed.
Or horizontal to horizontal

Is this correct? Different areas, different things I suppose. That one doesn't make sense to me. Do they make you put a long sweep under every water closet?

Anyway, a "medium" sweep may be used here when transitioning from vertical to horizontal, or horizontal to vertical last I checked. Long sweep for horizontal to horizontal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Using a long turn on a vertical as it turns horizontal has always been done on the West Coast.
Nothing anymore surprises me about the East Coast. Nothing.

A closet bend has always been a tighter bend though. It has to fit between the floor joist. But then you also have a 2" outlet on a toilet dropping into either a 3" or a 4" bend. And if you look at the outlet of a toilet bowl, it's sometimes at a right angle.

At the bottom of a plumbing stack, you will see a long turn 90.

Last edited:

LiquidPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Code in NC and SC a 1/4 bend (short sweep 90) can be used horizontal to horizontal if its the FIRST fitting in the wall behind a lavatory Also a 1/4 bend can be used if its the FIRST fitting under the toilet. 1/4 bend can be used anytime going from horizontal to vertical. Every other case must be long sweep. Obviously vent 90's are for dry venting only

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Burt sure made his two story sink stack complicated. But, maybe since he does not install cleanouts in the stack, he probably does it that way so he can snake the line from the roof.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The closet elbow has always been an exception. Someone who was around when indoor plumbing was first coming in to play probably knows the reason for that ; perhaps hj!

Plumber111

In the Trades
Reaction score
Using a long turn on a vertical as it turns horizontal has always been done on the West Coast.
Nothing anymore surprises me about the East Coast. Nothing.

A closet bend has always been a tighter bend though. It has to fit between the floor joist. But then you also have a 2" outlet on a toilet dropping into either a 3" or a 4" bend. And if you look at the outlet of a toilet bowl, it's sometimes at a right angle.

At the bottom of a plumbing stack, you will see a long turn 90.

Nothing surprises me about the West Coast anymore. Nothing. Or any other area for that matter.

Multiple codes, interpretations, distances etc.

All for the same fixtures. Dumbest thing ever.

Thanks for the diagram/guide.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Nothing surprises me about the West Coast anymore

Get used to it, because more and more areas are using the IPC which is basically a "do whatever you want to as long as it is cheaper" code.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Nothing surprises me about the West Coast anymore. Nothing. Or any other area for that matter.

Multiple codes, interpretations, distances etc.

All for the same fixtures. Dumbest thing ever.

Thanks for the diagram/guide.

Over the years I have had inspectors that will give special approval for almost anything if you have a valid reason and can show where it is allowed by a code from just about anywhere. If the intent of the code is maintained then it would be approved. Nit-picking is not why the code was written.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The closet elbow has always been an exception. Someone who was around when indoor plumbing was first coming in to play probably knows the reason for that ; perhaps hj!

Have not been around quite as long as HJ but I suspect that nobody made an elbow in cast iron that would fit between the ceiling and the floor. Naturally the first floor or a slab would not need that close a bend.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks