Durable shade grass

Users who are viewing this thread

Lucky8926

Reaction score
I need suggestions on grass to use in my back yard and an area in my front yard that are pretty shady. I have 2 dogs so they like to trample the grass in the back yard and the area by my truck where I get in and out next to my drive is also pretty sparse. Most durable grass such as playground mixes need full sun though. Is there anything out there that is durable but doesn't need full sun?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If you have very large tree almost nothing will grow. Seeds will start and germinate but with dogs trampling on it it will wear down to dirt. One of the main problems is the soil gets very compacted and if tree roots are along the surface, it will be a losing battle. Otherwise, if possible, rent a rotor tiller and brake up the ground about 4-6" if there are little or no root problems. Rake smooth and add some top, then seed. If possible, thin the tree out, not just cut the branches back but remove the entire branch. You want some sun light to penetrate to the ground. Tree in the spring time drop a lot of seeds and in the fall drop leaves. This material smothers the grass so you need to keep it raked and clear for the best results. It's hard for a definitive answer since we don't know the type of trees, yard location, how much shade and water, etc.

Lucky8926

Reaction score
If you have very large tree almost nothing will grow. Seeds will start and germinate but with dogs trampling on it it will wear down to dirt. One of the main problems is the soil gets very compacted and if tree roots are along the surface, it will be a losing battle. Otherwise, if possible, rent a rotor tiller and brake up the ground about 4-6" if there are little or no root problems. Rake smooth and add some top, then seed. If possible, thin the tree out, not just cut the branches back but remove the entire branch. You want some sun light to penetrate to the ground. Tree in the spring time drop a lot of seeds and in the fall drop leaves. This material smothers the grass so you need to keep it raked and clear for the best results. It's hard for a definitive answer since we don't know the type of trees, yard location, how much shade and water, etc.
Ok thanks. I'll have to check into thinning out some branches and tilling up the soil to get rid of some roots.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks