Drywall Technique Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You should be able to put the mud on a hawk and it will sit there. So some where between what is in the bucket and what will sit on a hawk.

Here is another tip.

There comes a time with mud as you're using it that it will begin to drag as you put it on the wall. Don't bother with the mud throw it out and get some new stuff. Also never throw mud back into the bucket.

Tom

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey Molo,

I thought of something else you might need to know. My drywall buddies showed me this trick and it does work well. USG has a primer called "First Coat". It is actually quite cheap. Approx $50 for 5 gallons. The primer has mud mixed into it and is very thick. This stuff will cover just about anything and provides texture to the super smooth patches. The sanding marks and minor stuff just disappears.

The down side is that it is difficult to roll on because it likes to splatter. But it works.

Tom

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
My drywall guru retapes all ceiling joints when he does a job, thinking that if it hasn't cracked yet, it will. He wets down the joints, then pulls the old tape off. Sets new fiberglass mesh tape in the seam, and covers with setting compound. After this sets, he uses a 10" knife with premix joint compound to finish seam to about 15-20" wide. I've never seen him use sandpaper. Anywhere. He's a great believer in the mesh tape, only uses paper in the corners -- but the mesh tape requires the setting compound.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks