Dropped a Flange Bolt Down the Toilet Connection Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

typesh

Reaction score
Hello. While replacing a new wax ring on my toilet, one of the 3.5 inch flange bolts fell down the toilet connection drain. I tried reaching down the pipe, but could not find the bolt. Is this going to cause a problem if left alone or do I need to contact a plumber? Thanks

typesh

Reaction score
RUGGED said:
Use a shop vac and see if you can retrieve it. A magnet will not work since it is brass.......but they are making some knock off parts these days that look like brass and are really metal.

I tried using my mini shop vac and inserted the hose as far as it would go, but did not have any luck. I tried using a magnet on the other bolt, but it didn't work. :(

Do you think this will cause any blockage problems if left alone?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Yes, it can but you don't want to pay a plumber to fish this out because it can become time consumbing on many fronts.

If you have a clear shot to a clean out beneath this toilet, I would open a cleanout and stick the shop vac hose down as far as you can. If you toilet drain goes a long distance horizontally....the bolt is still up in the long run.

Sometimes waiting for a clog may be the cheapest route.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
They make a claw pickup tool for retrieving stuff in drains.

Attachments

• Claw pickup tool.jpg
    Claw pickup tool.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,806
Last edited by a moderator:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I would start with a mirror and flashlight to see if it can be seen before shoving anything down the drain, which might do nothing more than push the bolt further out of reach.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
If it's gone down and out of reach, I would forget it. I don't believe it will ever be a problem...........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks