Drop Ear Elbow, Nipple, NPT and IPS

Users who are viewing this thread

Xiaotian Guo

Reaction score
Hi,
A while ago I purchased a Moen 3510 shower valve which has 'IPS' female connector, at the time I did not know the difference between IPS(straight) and NPT(tapered), and thought I could avoid soldering with that connector. Then I found Pex adaptor I purchased and all I could find on internet are NPT ones. So it will be returned. Before that I tried to screw the connector in and see it will only go about half way in.

To compare I took out the drop ear elbow and a NPT nipple (for hand held shower head). They are both NPT so I expect the nipple should go in more than half way. To my surprise, it also only went half way.

In both case, I didn't use any tool, just by hand, but I'd expect with a tool I might get a full turn in both case. Still I expect the NPT to NPT would fit better than MNPT to FIPS?

Am I missing something?

Here is a picture of nipple to drop ear elbow:

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6913.jpg
    IMG_6913.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are missing that the drop ear elbow is designed to have a nipple screwed into it. You are overthinking the threading.and that it is Iron Pipe Size.

Xiaotian Guo

Reaction score
@hj thank you for your response.

Are you saying IPS or NPT it doesn't matter? I have read in several places that they are different and should not be used together.

I'd appreciate it if you could explain a bit more. Since they are going to be sealed behind walls, I want to be sure everything is right.

Thanks again.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
NPT=national pipe thread IPS = iron pipe size , both are the same type of thread. Just different names.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks