Drainback system?

Users who are viewing this thread

gerhard

Reaction score
Raucina said:
If you insist on the filters and they work for the neighborhood, why not add a few more on each end to extend your replacement time and reduce the suction issues. I would still get the lake water with a well or a point right next to the house and very likely eliminate the need for any treatment.

That's also a good idea - thanks. I cannot put in a shore well; the bottom of the lake near-shore is covered with large chuncks of limestone, and there is no access for a well. The people I've talked to (and the guy who installs them) says the filters last 2-4 years, depending on use (Cayuga Lake is extremely clean, in general).

gerhard

Reaction score
water treatment question

Bob NH said:
If you are using lake water, you should chlorinate as well as filter it. Without persistent disinfection you will get nasty thingies growing in that 5 micron filter.

You will also need to assure that there is a relief valve between the pump and the 5 micron filter. Speedbump is going to have apoplexy when he reads that you have a filter between a submersible pump and the tank. He won't have anything good to say about that 20 micron on the inlet either.

I have moved the filter downstream of the tank (I haven't finished the system, so this was trivial). I am going to put the UV light upstream of the tank -- will this take care of your concern about stuff growing in the tank? People here are split; some have a light and chlorine, some only a light, and one (living dangerously in my view) has nothing but a strainer.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

Raucina

Reaction score
You can sleeve the pipe in 5" or 6" thinwall pvc and use well stand offs to center the pipe, then drill small holes to inject foam as one insulation solution.

What would be the hydraulic issues that do not allow water to enter a well so close to the lakes edge? Is there some sort of clay barrier at water line? I cannot imagine that the lake is one huge limestone swimming pool that doesnt seep water....?

gerhard

Reaction score
lake well water problems

I don't know why, exactly, but something like a "limestone tub" may be what is present; this is a big glacial lake. Wells in the area clearly are not being fed by the lake water; when excavators dig foundations, they hit the limestone layer very quickly. Wells produce poor quality water and very low yield. Even a mile from the lake, people use their wells sparingly and worry about running out of water. There is no sloping land near the lake; the cliff drops into the lake vertically, with the limestone visible for the last 10-15 feet.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
There's a lot of limestone up there. I grew up in the Saratoga area, and watched the welldigger when he hit solid limestone at 13'. Thinking it was shale, he first tried to blast his way through it (this was back when you could buy dynamite at Tracy's hardware). Didn't even scratch the surface. Dad finally bit the bullet and hired a driller who spent a few weeks getting down to 130'. Worked for a while, but didn't produce enough water, so the driller came back and wound up at 300', as I remember. They wanted to drop a stick of dynamite down the well to try to fracture the formation, but never did, much to my disappointment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks