Drain size for washer in Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

MIKE007

Reaction score
My vertical drain is 1 1/2. There is a dishwasher + kitchen sink on the first floor and a washing machine in the basement connected trough a back flow valve after the p-trap. I newer used both washing machines at the same time. Is this diameter fine for both machines at the same time or I need 2"?

Thanks

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
maximum hydraulic load (fixture units) drained to a 1-1/2" soil or waste stack - 8FU
maximum fixtures units from any one storey drained to a 1-1/2" soil or waste stack - 5FU

kitchen sink = 1.5 FU
dishwasher = if separately trapped with 1-1/2" trap - 1FU if connected to sink or garbage disposal - 0FU
clothes washer = 1.5FU with 1-1/2" trap

assuming all piping and venting is proper - your arrangement meets code requirements

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe Canadian codes are different in that they have not upped the drain sizes as the US has. Your 1-1/2" may be legal, but 2" sure would be better.

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
I disagree, The pipe must be at least 2 inches, Further the Quebec amended canadian code is about to change so that all laundry machines connection are minimum 2 inches.

Toto

Reaction score
Does this plumbing code differentiate between the different types and sizes of washers? I am asking, because I am trying to get a plumber install a compact, 2.2 cu ft., 24'' wide, front load washer in the place of my dishwasher in my kitchen. And despite the fact that the washer's manual asks for a minimum of 1 1/4 '' drain pipe, all I get by the plumbers is that can not do the job because my drain pipes are 1 3/4'' whereas their codes requires dain pipes for washers to be 2''.

I am not a professional plumber, but I think there is quite a difference between a 6 cu. ft . washer and a 2.2 cu. ft. washer. So do these plumber codes make a difference based on the size of the washers and the amounts of water they use in setting the drain pipe requirements?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks