Does out of plumb shower riser matter for no caulk drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tvizzle

Reaction score
I only ask because it’s in a difficult to access area to fix. The glue up resulted in something different than expected…

If it passes leak test would you still fix it?

Also, rest in peace Terry. Thank you for all your help over the years and this amazing plumbing community.

Attachments

• IMG_2303.jpeg
    IMG_2303.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 22

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its pretty hard to look at that and not recomend fixing . on other hand will it leak in next year or 30 years maybe maybe not . If you did the work and are willing to take responceabilty and not flipping the house then take your chances ok, If you paid outta your hard earned money for a plumber to install this Id call him back

Tvizzle

Reaction score
Its pretty hard to look at that and not recomend fixing . on other hand will it leak in next year or 30 years maybe maybe not . If you did the work and are willing to take responceabilty and not flipping the house then take your chances ok, If you paid outta your hard earned money for a plumber to install this Id call him back
Its a tile job for a friend, and their plumber wasn't available. My buddy is the type that if it's not leaking it doesn't matter. I'm more anal, especially not being in the trade enough to know when it matters or doesn't matter.

I'll definitely replumb it, with someone holding a long stand pipe above to make sure its plumb :rolleyes:

Its hard plumbing in a 14" joist bay wondering how plumb you are lol.

Thanks for the advice to both of you. I just wanted to make sure I'm not crazy for wanting to cut this out and do better.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hate to critique it i mean cosmeticaly Is one thing no biggie really but I have some issue with it being a long term fix it could leak down the road

mikejames962

Reaction score
If the fix is holding and passes the leak test, that's a good sign. Assess the long-term durability and if it meets safety standards. Terry's legacy lives on in this plumbing community—grateful for the knowledge shared.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Theres 2 things going on here. First; when installing the no caulk gasket, its going to be very difficult to get the gasket to fit over the pipe and into the drain body. Second; with the pipe at an angle, it will have uneven sealing pressure applied at 2 points rather than evenly spread top to bottom.

IMO its better and easier in the long run to install it plumb.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks