Do we need water treatment? test results

Users who are viewing this thread

Laraby

Reaction score
Hi, we recently tested our well water by a lab and the test results were hardness 3 pgp, pH 6.5, and iron .5 ppm. I'm getting varied recommendations from water treatment sellers so am turning to you good folks to give me some unbiased advice.

Physical evidence of a problem: some greenish staining in cultured marble shower, light brown ring at water line in toilets and some brown residue in toilet tank that is easy to remove and now looks new, and some corrosion around connections. Plumbing is CPVC and PEX with a few copper supply lines to sinks and dishwasher. Of course some of the connections are brass. We've replaced one water heater, one shower valve and one sink faucet in 16 years and had corrosion at top of water heater that flooded a few rooms. The water tastes great, suds well and has no smell.

So - what do you think? Time to spring for water treatment? If so, what? And do we need to proactively replace our copper supply lines with PEX? thank you!!

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect there somebody in the household that has a differing view on the taste and/or the other factors.

Laraby

Reaction score
well, it's just my husband and I, he likes the water also, and so do guests. Does the level of iron or pH indicate the taste should be off? He feels based on the physical signs we don't need to do anything.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some people like the taste of iron in the water, and it does not hurt anything. So serve your guests bottled water.

I am wondering why you were shopping for water treatment. Was it just the red and green colors on the plumbing? For the rust in the toilet, try Super Iron Out. For the ring at the water edge, consider Pumie Pumice.

Pex instead of copper? I don't know. Going to PEX would stop the green I expect. What color is the ink on the side of your copper pipes? If that is red, that is the thin stuff. Your 6.5 is right at the edge of the 6.5 to 8.5 that is normally considered to be the good range.

I am not a pro.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
6.5 is only one calculation of the potential corrossivity of the water. It seems obvious that you are experiencing copper leaching. 6.5 can be fine if your water has enough tds... sounds like your water is low in pH and tds causing your copper corrosion. Some pex connectors are made of copper/brass/tin etc. These can be more problematic than copper piping.

Some solutions may be to add a calcite filtration system, then soften, but if you are happy with your water, a simple RO under the sink for drinking is what I would recommend. If the copper leaching continues, you may start to have some plumbing failures including leaking pipes, fittings, etc.

Melkus

Reaction score
Well when your husband white cloth come out of the laundry with rust stains and he asks what happen just tell him I told you so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks