Diverter Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Delguercio

Reaction score
Recently purchased new house and installing new diverter & mixing valve.

I am household handy, have done plumbing repairs but never installing new valves, in turn have questions and will need guidance.

We want to change existing diverter/trim kit to American Standard.

See PDF photo existing 3 way diverter valve.

From what I've been able to find out it looks to be a Kludi New Wave 3 way diverter, see attached PDF. Doesn't appear to be very common.

For the American Standard trim kits that we want, plumbing supplier has advised that we need American Standard R430 3 way diverter valve.

With regard to R430 diverter, several questions:
1. On the R430 I only see connection for 2 accessories. Does the cap on top of valve open up for additional connection. See attached PDF.
2. Because old valve and new R430 are both threaded can I just unscrew the old valve, after turning off water, and screw pipes back into new valve with making adjustments/bends for existing pipes for spacing.
3. If I'm making bends in pipes am I better off using PEX, which I haven't used but seems like it would be easier.

Prior to starting job I want to look at all scenarios and ask all questions in order to try and avoid problems. I appreciate any help and assistance.

Please bear with me as I ask these questions, I appreciate any guidance & assistance that the pros on this site can help me with.

Thanks

Greg

Attachments

• american-standard-r430-in-wall-shower-diverter vlave.pdf
    129.2 KB · Views: 428
  • Existing 3 Way Valve.pdf
    79.5 KB · Views: 262
  • kludi-new-waves-three-way-diverter.pdf
    102.5 KB · Views: 626

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The picture is probably a two way valve R420 and they just used the same picture for both the 2 way and 3 way valves.
I think if you specify a three way valve: R430 it will come with three outlets

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/1d/1df46aa8-7940-4566-8062-b4ed712c75f6.pdf

The instillation diagram shows 1 inlet and 3 outlets

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/pdf/AS_I_Install_999.pdf

To remove the old valve you will have to cut the copper pipes.

The American valve is only a diverter so you will need a mixing valve where you turn the water on and off. When the water is turned on and the temperature is adjusted it will be sent to the inlet on the diverter. So do you already have that valve or are you buying it separate?

Delguercio

Reaction score
The picture is probably a two way valve R420 and they just used the same picture for both the 2 way and 3 way valves.
I think if you specify a three way valve: R430 it will come with three outlets

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/1d/1df46aa8-7940-4566-8062-b4ed712c75f6.pdf

The instillation diagram shows 1 inlet and 3 outlets

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/pdf/AS_I_Install_999.pdf

To remove the old valve you will have to cut the copper pipes.

The American valve is only a diverter so you will need a mixing valve where you turn the water on and off. When the water is turned on and the temperature is adjusted it will be sent to the inlet on the diverter. So do you already have that valve or are you buying it separate?

Thank you very much for clarification.

With regard to mixing valve I am buying separate.

Old valves have threaded connection, sorry but don't know what it's called. See PDF.

Can I unscrew and use same type of connection on new valves, making some adjustments for lengths, etc. I will also have to slightly reconfigure pipe for handheld because currently it comes off of top of existing diverter and on R430 it will come off of the side. See PDF on which I've drawn out how I think it can be done.

Since this is existing and all pipes are in place I want to do as little cutting of pipes as possible.

If I do need to cut pipe can I add a type of coupling to add correct length copper for correct fit.

Again, I really appreciate the answers and guidance on this.

Greg

Attachments

• New Piping for Handheld.pdf
    86 KB · Views: 245
  • Threaded Connection.pdf
    84.5 KB · Views: 232

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
To remove those copper threaded adapters you will have to cut the copper pipe. Then you could unscrew them. They were screwed into the valve and then the copper pipe was soldiered into the adapter. You will need some type new ½ inch NPT adapters. I would not try to salvage them. You will have to cut all of those copper pipes to get the existing valve out. I think you should hire a professional to install the new shower valve. There are ways you could do it yourself but the parts can be expensive, it’s going to be a little tricky and then you might worry about leaks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many new valves that have a male threaded connection in them, will also allow a pipe to be slide inside and soldered. This results in one less pipe thread connection and is more robust than screwing a fitting onto it. Either will work, but if you have a leak, after threading on the connection and soldering in the rest, you cannot tighten it without cutting the pipe again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks