Distance of toilet tank from the wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
Is there a standard distance that a toilet tank should be from the wall? Our new tank is 1 1/2" to 2" inches from the wall.

If the tank is too far from the wall, is it necessary to move the flange to move it closer to the wall?

Thanks.

Natalie

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Interesting question. No, there is no standard distance a toilet tank should set out from the wall. There are standard rough in distances, the most common is 12" with a few at 10" and a few at 14", but the actually distance the tank will be from the wall will vary. Yours is quite normal. It is possible that you have a 14" rough-in with a 12" toilet, so replacing the toilet with a 14" toilet would move the tank closer as well as moving the flange. Either option would be costly and totally unnecessary.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It should not matter, because folks should not think they can use the tank as a backrest! With the lid on, the distance may be small enough that even if someone leans on it, the sponge gasket and bolt holes have enough slack to be OK.

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
Only problem is that because the toilet was not installed closer to the back wall, there is not 21" clearance in front of the toilet (to the wall in front of the toilet.) There is only 20" clearance. We have not had final inspection yet and I don't know if the inspector will require the toilet to be moved.

Natalie

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a totally different problem than you started the thread with. I wouldn't do anything until/unless the inspector requires it. Since it is within an inch, I'd have to think he may not notice. If he does, then is you'd have to change. Problem is of course, to move the flange you will have to tear up the finished floor as well as deal with the adjustment in the plumbing. Just what that might entail would depend on location of floor joists in relation to the drain line, type of pipe, and perhaps other considerations that would require an on-site evaluation. If it comes to that, you'd probably want a plumber to do the plumbing portion.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An 'average' toilet will have something like 1/2-3/4" or so gap behind it, but that is not a requirement, just an average. Measure from the finished wall (not the baseboard) to the bolts holding the toilet down. That is the rough-in. As was mentioned, 12" is the standard. If it isn't 12", then you may be able to change the toilet. From the gap, it sounds like your rough-in is closer to maybe a little over 13" rather than 12", and they used a toilet designed for 12".

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you get gigged on the 1" there is also a possibility that a different toilet will fit differently... Dimensional specs vary. Round vs. elongated and different brands for instance a Toto Drake is spec'd with 1 1/8" behind the tank while a Kohler Cimerron is quite a bit closer. Even overall length of the toilet varies.

Wait on the inspector and see what happens then worry!

drake_spec_gif.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
Thanks. I will wait for the inspector.
(The toilet I have has a round front -- and it only 26 3/4" -- one of the smallest I could find. There was one shorter but it was wider.
I read the rough-in information for the Kohler toilet I have and if roughed in at 12", the tank should be 3/4" from the wall. It appears the plumber roughed it in at 13" which is causing my problems.)
Natalie

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Measure from the wall to the bolts, That should give an indication as long as the bolts are properly centered.

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
Now I confused about something.
If I measure from the wall to the center of the bolt, it is roughly 12". But the Kohler Pinoir toilet rough-in information shows the toilet only 3/4" from the wall based on a 12" rough-in and it looks like on the Kohler rough-in information that the 12" is measured past the bolt.

Is a 12" rough-in always measured to the center of the bolt or is it measured past the bolt on some toilets?

Natalie

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
So if the bolts are at 12" (or real close to that) and the toilet tank is 1 1/2" from the wall, does that mean the Kohler rough-in diagram is wrong? The rough-in diagram shows the toilet tank at 3/4" from the wall with a 12" rough in.
Natalie

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Maybe your tank is leaning forward a bit and should be loosened and tilted back a little toward the wall to make it level on top. I have one toilet that was already assembled when I got it and placed it in an unfinished bathroom, and its tank will actually have to be tilted forward a bit before I can install wallboard behind the tank. I recently installed an identical toilet in our basement bathroom, and its tank sits right where it should after I had used a small level on top of the tank while attaching it to the bowl.

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
I think they are level. If I put a marble on the top of the tank, it doesn't roll. (I always promised the contractor that I wouldn't get a level, but this may be the time.)

One other question, does it matter if the cold water supply stub-out is 5" off the finished floor when the manufacturer's installation instructions say it should be 8" off the finished floor?

Natalie

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
One other question, does it matter if the cold water supply stub-out is 5" off the finished floor when the manufacturer's installation instructions say it should be 8" off the finished floor?

Only if it gets damaged by a large shoe, mop or vacuum cleaner. The toilet will not be in any way affected by the height or orientation of its supply line.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
does it matter if the cold water supply stub-out is 5" off the finished floor when the manufacturer's installation instructions say it should be 8" off the finished floor?

Not a bit. That is a very arbitrary number.
Manufactures have their specs all over the place.
The only thing that matters, is not hitting the back of the bowl.
Many plumbers mark the cold lines in a bathroom by placing a 2x4 on the bottom plate, and then using it as a measuring stick.
That is how you wound up with 5"
1.5" plus 3.5"

I have noticed a few bowl and tank combos that have more or less room behind a tank. There is no way to know, unless you pull everything from the box and assemble first. I would rather a tank did not touch the back wall. Yours is out a bit, but it does not hurt anything. I would say, it was the luck of the draw.
It sounds like the plumber is spot on with the rough-in.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When the toilet is first cast out of clay, it is quite a bit bigger than once it is finished. It shrinks when it first dries, then again when it is fired in the kiln. Depending on the initial water in the mix and the consistency of the batch-to-batch setup, there can be a difference between one to the other. The better manufacturers tend to be fairly consistent, but that is no guarantee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks