Dishwasher stopping prematurely

Users who are viewing this thread

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
Our Samsung dishwasher model DW80R5060 (about 3 years old) suddenly began to not finish properly. We always choose the Normal wash and it shows about 2 hr 50 minutes to complete. Now, it stops after about 2 hours. The dishes look reasonably clean, but the water that collects in the recess of upside down cups and glasses is cloudy. What might be causing this?

BTW, I just noticed that it has switched to Rinse after about an hour...

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I took my samsung apart and deep cleanned it 3 years Id do it I you tubed it , bunch of screws Vinegar etc needs a cleanning . water a bit hard in Placentia All through there not terrible and I dont know the water districts and thier differances but you need to clean it anyway as part of maintaining it

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
Thx, Jeff. I don't quite understand. What is "deep cleaning?" "Tubed it?" What screws?

I did run a 1/4" poly tube down the airgap and blew on it. Also removed the upper and lower spray arms and forced water through. No discernably blockage.
We bought the dishwasher at Best Buy and have their Total Protection plan so I've scheduled a Geek Squad guy for this Friday. Just wanted to get as smart as I can before he comes :)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I mean open door and on the bottom take all that stuff out and clean it? maybe yours is differant I looked at Samsung dishwasher cleaning did you use vinegar or andy cleanning methods ? it just gets all that mineral deposits all inside so it cant leave everything clean

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
I mean open door and on the bottom take all that stuff out and clean it? maybe yours is differant I looked at Samsung dishwasher cleaning did you use vinegar or andy cleanning methods ? it just gets all that mineral deposits all inside so it cant leave everything clean
Thanks. The Geek Squad will be here today, so I'll let him do it. I'll report back to the forum.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks. The Geek Squad will be here today, so I'll let him do it. I'll report back to the forum.
Please do fill us in . I think its just dirty they have cleanning pods or a cup of vinegar etc. but I went with disassembly and cleanning

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score

Good luck with that.

I would have checked to see if there were any locally owned appliance guys working your area first. Too many stories of Geek Squad showing up, collecting 20 percent of a grand (don't know if we can talk prices here... LOL) and saying the machine wasn't worth fixing, then the machine in question being repaired for cheap by an actual repair facility or even a youtube video..

My father in law got hosed on a Whirlpool washer.

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good luck with that.

I would have checked to see if there were any locally owned appliance guys working your area first. Too many stories of Geek Squad showing up, collecting 20 percent of a grand (don't know if we can talk prices here... LOL) and saying the machine wasn't worth fixing, then the machine in question being repaired for cheap by an actual repair facility or even a youtube video..

My father in law got hosed on a Whirlpool washer.

John
i think its a service plan.
My "new " fridge lights were acting up under warranty guy came out ordered a new fixture assembly replaced it then like 6 monthes later samething differant guy comes out says it cant be fixed the jacket is cracked and the wires are too short. So I got my 2 grand back whatever it was got to keep the fridge ok its a little dark in there and a little crack but thats ok Im tired of messed up appliances Ill keep a flashlight nearby at least it makes ice LOL

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
The Greek guy came at the appointed time. He went through a process of entering several "secret codes" that apparently stepped through all the modes looking for error codes. Then looked under the sink and noticed that the dishwasher plug wasn't fully plugged in due to interference with the garbage disposal plug. He got a 12" flat panel extension cord from his truck. It is rotatable so can be rotated so as to avoid interference with the other plug.

He gave us his direct line number and said to call him if the problem isn't solved. It didn't fix the problem, so I placed that called. I'll post again after his next visit.

He sent me 2 invoices, one billing me $40 and one showing $40 paid under the Total Service Plan. So, the visit and extension were free.

BTW, we've had several similar experiences for appliances bought from Best Buy. Furthermore, the Total Service Plan covers things NOT bought at Best Buy. I have an old laptop I bought at Fry's (remember Fry's?) that had developed some problems. They told me to schedule an appointment. I did, but before the appointment I solved the problem myself so cancelled the appointment.

In short, I'm a big fan of Best Buy and the Total Service plan.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
The Greek guy came at the appointed time. He went through a process of entering several "secret codes" that apparently stepped through all the modes looking for error codes. Then looked under the sink and noticed that the dishwasher plug wasn't fully plugged in due to interference with the garbage disposal plug. He got a 12" flat panel extension cord from his truck. It is rotatable so can be rotated so as to avoid interference with the other plug.

He gave us his direct line number and said to call him if the problem isn't solved. It didn't fix the problem, so I placed that called. I'll post again after his next visit.

He sent me 2 invoices, one billing me $40 and one showing $40 paid under the Total Service Plan. So, the visit and extension were free.

BTW, we've had several similar experiences for appliances bought from Best Buy. Furthermore, the Total Service Plan covers things NOT bought at Best Buy. I have an old laptop I bought at Fry's (remember Fry's?) that had developed some problems. They told me to schedule an appointment. I did, but before the appointment I solved the problem myself so cancelled the appointment.

In short, I'm a big fan of Best Buy and the Total Service plan.

Under contract, I wouldn't worry. If they can't fix it - they'll replace it.

But calling them on your own starts at $150 to ring the bell then $50 every 15 minutes. The odds of getting a guy who actually knows what they're doing isn't great although you might get lucky and get an old retired guy working for them part time (like Home Depot - sometimes you get to talk to a master carpenter or electrician!)

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive read some about various aplliance manufactures and the service and repair of them , Samsung from korea has issues with parts availability perhaps its changed but the techs dont much care for the brand Ive had mixed luck they seem like nice appliances but ill be buying standard USA stuff in the future. I will say my Samsung stove which has been great did take a dump on me And I bought parts and fixed the panel for like under 20 bucks its around 8 years old looks great and was happy to avoid major expence thanks to You tube , and Amazon LOL.
Anyway Id look at you tube on that D/W

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Ive read some about various aplliance manufactures and the service and repair of them , Samsung from korea has issues with parts availability perhaps its changed but the techs dont much care for the brand Ive had mixed luck they seem like nice appliances but ill be buying standard USA stuff in the future. I will say my Samsung stove which has been great did take a dump on me And I bought parts and fixed the panel for like under 20 bucks its around 8 years old looks great and was happy to avoid major expence thanks to You tube , and Amazon LOL.
Anyway Id look at you tube on that D/W

I built my house in 1993 - my Whirlpool reefer and stove are original - never had a problem with either. The fridge has an American made compressor in it - most these days have Chinese compressors and power saving inverters (for multi speed) that last 5 years tops. Sure, I'll save $150 in electricity over 5 years maybe but will have to replace it again for $1500.

We're doing a full remodel of our kitchen soon and the thought of replacing those "archaic" appliances with a fancy stainless and black beauty with garbage guts galls me. I want a double oven and cooktop so the stove is going, but if I could find or have someone fabricate cabinet panels for the fridge, I'd keep that old Whirlpool.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks