Disconnecting/bypassing a central ac register in a small bedroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Sandee

Reaction score
I would like to disconnect/bypass 1 central ac register in a small bedroom in the upstairs of my 2 floor home.
The system is about 24 years old and has 2 returns, 1 on each floor. I thought about just closing the particular room register down by adjusting the lever but I understand that can tax the system.

We prefer to have the room simply use a window ac unit when it is needed. The main reason we are doing this is because the person that sleeps in the room vapes and this has been causing a lot of family tension when the odors are transferred on some days to other rooms. We have tried various other measures (air cleaners, opening windows, fans, etc.). While they help there are still days like today when it is still a problem for some reason especially during the warmer seasons when the central ac system is on.

So I was wondering how expensive a modification like this might be? Would it in any way damage the system? Can it be a temporary change?
Thank you

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If the room has only one register, just block it off with a plastic bag and close the louvers. One reg usually will not tax the system. When there is too much restriction there can be icing in the air handler with not enough air flow over the coils. It's the same as having a plugged up air filter.

To help out have you tried using a window fan to exhaust the vapors? By keeping the air pressure just slightly lower than adjoining rooms, air will flow around the door into the room and out the window fan.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Closing one register should not tax the system unless too many other registers are closed. I assume the cold return for the room is via the gap under the door. Perhaps a door sweep to close that gap will help. Unless the room is ventilated to the outside or well filtered, the smell will likely still spread throughout the house. Was the filter you tried in the room a true HEPA?

Does the house have an HRV? If so, consider sucking out the smoke by piping to the room.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey I was a 35 year smoker , but why dont you just start a new rule no vaping or pot smoking in the house or throw him out?

Sandee

Reaction score
Hey I was a 35 year smoker , but why dont you just start a new rule no vaping or pot smoking in the house or throw him out?
No luck, we tried over and over but the temptation is always there. Was not worth the battles.

Sandee

Reaction score
Closing one register should not tax the system unless too many other registers are closed. I assume the cold return for the room is via the gap under the door. Perhaps a door sweep to close that gap will help. Unless the room is ventilated to the outside or well filtered, the smell will likely still spread throughout the house. Was the filter you tried in the room a true HEPA?

Does the house have an HRV? If so, consider sucking out the smoke by piping to the room.
Yes, we tried multiple HEPA machines. While most days it does the tricks there are sometimes damp days that maybe highlight the odor for some reason. I will check with my husband, but I do not think we have an HRV. I have a door block ready to go so maybe I can do that too. Should I try that by itself or along with closing the register? I do not think there are any other closed registers but will double check.

Sandee

Reaction score
If the room has only one register, just block it off with a plastic bag and close the louvers. One reg usually will not tax the system. When there is too much restriction there can be icing in the air handler with not enough air flow over the coils. It's the same as having a plugged up air filter.

To help out have you tried using a window fan to exhaust the vapors? By keeping the air pressure just slightly lower than adjoining rooms, air will flow around the door into the room and out the window fan.
Yes, we do have a nice window fan that we used last spring, My husband hesitated to put in back in the window now cause he felt we would be losing a lot of the central ac. But maybe we should

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
No matter what, to exhaust odors, conditioned air will also go out the window. One of these small twin units on low speed willl work. Using a cloths dryer exhaust about 100 cu.ft. per minute.

• 41K3z+cBq-L._AC_US75_.jpg

Sandee

Reaction score
No matter what, to exhaust odors, conditioned air will also go out the window. One of these small twin units on low speed willl work. Using a cloths dryer exhaust about 100 cu.ft. per minute.

• 41K3z+cBq-L._AC_US75_.jpg
Looks like what we have! We will put in back in action.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks