Diagram of new drain...Go/NoGo

Users who are viewing this thread

icebox

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here, I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, so I do most of my own work, but I def value a pro's opinion on this matter!

I'm adding a new washer drain, and want to tie it into the lower floor soil stack... Want to know it's a go/no go---

Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• Plumbing.jpg
    Plumbing.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,200

icebox

Reaction score
The laundry sink is wet vented horizontally, upstream of that vent tie-in, there's a WC and sink for lower floor powder room.

Reaction score
The only thing you need to consider is the amount of work you will be doing with banded couplers, as that soil stack won't be flexible in any way.

Many DIYs make the common mistake they can simply remove a section and put a tee or wye there only to realize the pipe doesn't budge at all, and have to cut away a lot more of it so they can squeeze in a coupler.

It may be easier to wet vent your new washer drain to the laundry sink drain, assuming there is nothing in between it. You have not provided any more information, nor pics of your rooms for me to make assumptions.

Small diameter ABS or PVC is flexible to an extent, verticals and anything larger than 3" is not.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is a no go as drawn. It needs to be vented. The drawing for the laundry sink drain does not have a vent either.

icebox

Reaction score
Can I make a run with pvc to the washer sink and have it drain into there? (not into the sink, but under it before the trap)

Right now it has a long discharge hose that's unsightly, I like everything neat, so I'm thinking a PVC run to the sink might work?

It's within the vented distance allowed by the charts I'm looking at, why is the sink allowed to be wet vented and this not?

icebox

Reaction score
There's no vent on the sink as of now, built in '79 and everything is original copper from that time. Code must've been different then about the sink.

I thought horizontal wet venting was allowed as long as distances were good.

I drew a small line that represents a 2" vent that's tied in at the attic to the soil stack vent, it's all the way at the right of the image.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to go with what the code says. Some things can be wet vented and some can not. Most of the time it is a bath room group. You could wet vet the toilet with the sink in the bath room.

The 2" vent, on the right, as you have it shown is useless. With modifications you might be able to use it for a vent if nothing drains into it from above.

Vents are covered in Chapter 12:
https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code/states/nj_plumbing.pdf

Last edited:

icebox

Reaction score
Smooky, I don't like what you're saying, I'll get advice from somebody else

JK, thanks for the input, idk how it passed, but then again Trenton NJ in 79 was known for pinky rings and crooked noses.

I wouldn't want to dig into my slab, who knows what's under there!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There's no vent on the sink as of now, built in '79 and everything is original copper from that time. Code must've been different then about the sink.

I thought horizontal wet venting was allowed as long as distances were good.

I drew a small line that represents a 2" vent that's tied in at the attic to the soil stack vent, it's all the way at the right of the image.

You will need to read up on how a proper wet vent works, because right now you are either misunderstanding or misinformed.
It is also true that most, if not all plumbing codes allow for horizontal wet venting of a bath group, but not a laundry, and never between floors in the U.S.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As soon as you install a toilet upstream of the laundry, it is no longer wet vented, or vented in any manner. You cannot connect your washer to the main stack for the same reason. Smooky is correct.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Smooky, I don't like what you're saying, I'll get advice from somebody else

You are like the King of Israel who didn't like a prophet because he never told him "good news' that he wanted to hear.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks