Delta Valve with Stops - Leak Testing

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hey all. Renovating one of our Jack and Jill baths and replacing the 30+ year old shower valve with a Delta unit. All my local supply house had was the universal valve with stops. I know what the stops are for, but the directions don't say to install them before leak/pressure testing. I don't see how that would work since it would be completely open. I assume I'm supposed to install the stops after soldering, but before leak/pressure testing? Thanks in advance.

PRESSURE TESTING & FLUSHING THE INSTALLATION Prior to testing, remove cover (1), bonnet (2) and cap (3). Ensure O-ring (4) and filter screen (5) are properly installed. Reinstall cap and bonnet and tighten securely. Plug both outlets with proper fittings. Check for leaks. After testing remove shower and/or tub spout plug and flush system. After flushing remove filter screen (5) and reinstall cap, bonnet and cover. Install stops (6 & 7) in the w/stops version and set to full open. Note: Install stops in the w/stops version as follows: Thread nut (6) on stem (7) as shown. Then press stem and nut assembly into body (8) and tighten using a 3/8", 6 point, deep well socket. With a flat head screwdriver, adjust stem clockwise to close and counterclockwise to open.

rp50366-stops.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I see that they don't want you to solder with the stops in place. That's sort of like pulling cartridges before soldering too.
Before I turn on the water though, I like to have the stops installed. I get how nice it is for them to have us flush everything out, which wouldn't be so bad in new construction where a bit more water on the floor wouldn't really be noticed. In a remodel, that could get really messy.

Reaction score
I see that they don't want you to solder with the stops in place. That's sort of like pulling cartridges before soldering too.
Before I turn on the water though, I like to have the stops installed. I get how nice it is for them to have us flush everything out, which wouldn't be so bad in new construction where a bit more water on the floor wouldn't really be noticed. In a remodel, that could get really messy.
Thanks Terry, that helps!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks