Deep well Jet Pump Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

laynes69

Reaction score
Here recently we were having problems running out of water. After using dry ice, we restored our water. About 2 weeks ago, water stopped again (bad adjustment on regulator) and I freaked out and lowered the pressure to 20-40. Since I've done this I noticed the water pressure drops low, the pump kicks in and while the faucet is open, pressure is met and the pump kicks off even though the faucet is on. Is this okay, or can I put in a 30/50 switch and when water is being used, keep the pump from cycling? Also one more thing, I'm considering removing the jet pump, putting in a pitless adaptor and dropping down a submersible. It's a 4" casing so a 3" pump will have to do. I don't know what the recovery rate is on the well, but water was 19' below casing and bottom was about 66'. We currently have a myers 3/4 hp deep well jet and I was thinking a 10 gpm pump would work? Our well is about 200' from the home.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you saying that the water level is about 19 ft below the top of the casing, and the bottom of the hole is 66 ft down? If so, a 1/2 HP 10 GPM pump would be a better match. That size is available in Grundfos SQ. You would be able to raise your water pressure.

If the casing were in good shape, such as PVC, you could probably put a slimline 4 inch pump, which is about 3.75 diameter.

A cycle stop valve could prevent cycling with the current pump if it bothers you that the pump cuts off while you still have an open faucet.

laynes69

Reaction score
The well has a cast iron casing I believe, it's an old well. I know we can take multiple showers, run laundry, the dishwasher and not run out of water. How would a 1/2 hp 10 gpm submersible compare to what we have now?

Reach4

Reaction score
The well has a cast iron casing I believe, it's an old well. I know we can take multiple showers, run laundry, the dishwasher and not run out of water. How would a 1/2 hp 10 gpm submersible compare to what we have now?
The 10SQ05-160-230V might be what I would look at in the SQ. I would not have any problem delivering 50 or 60 PSI water. It would be silent in the house.

A submersible pump is more efficient than a jet pump.

Note that there are different kind of pitless adapters. Some do not reduce the size for the pump to pass. The popular B10X trapezoid type does reduce clearance. I think it leaves enough room in the 4 inch casing to pass your SQ pump, but you might want to get some confirmation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks