Deep seated drain pipe question

Users who are viewing this thread

CaptainMurray

Reaction score
Hello, wkend DIYer here from Austin TX. Bought a house recently renovated (crew seemed to be thrown together & no person used that specialized in plumbing). Recently had to take the toilet off to fix a leak... thought I would need to just put a new wax seal on it since toilet, seal and flange were new as of the renovation.

I discovered the flange was all jacked up and wasn't even secured properly in the concrete slab (a couple of wood screws where used). And the neck of the flange wasn't even seated/glued into the drain pipe).

I've seen a number of solutions out there yet I am not sure the best way to go about installing a flange with the drain pipe being so low relative to the surface of the floor. Please see photos. I was considering simply getting a long neck that extended into the drain pipe but I measured the opening at 3" diameter. Would I be getting to narrow and cause if getting backed-up if I used a smaller diameter to fit inside it?
Also, the drain pipe looks to be made of PVC yet there is some kind of black plastic insert at the top of the opening that marrows it to 3". (I can under the lip up the black plastic piece that the PVC is probably 4". Can't tell if that's how it should be or if I can gently cut the black piece out, to the point of the PVC, and fit the extended neck in the PVC so I don't over reduce the drain diameter. I'm new to this so pardon me if I asking ridiculous questions.

Also, the slab surface isn't very smooth or level. Should I build it up with quickcrete to make a more solid foundation for the flange? (Old flange was also rested a little below the tile flooring)

Thank you! Hope that make sense. I cleaned up the area a bit but the photos show what I found when I pulled the toilet.

IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
  1. What is the diameter (A)?
  2. What is the depth of the straight part (B).
  3. How far below the floor surface is the top of the B area?

img_2.jpg

CaptainMurray

Reaction score
  1. What is the diameter (A)?
  2. What is the depth of the straight part (B).
  3. How far below the floor surface is the top of the B area?
View attachment 46368

Thank you for asking Reach4

1) 2.75" (inside diameter)
2) 2.25" (deep from top of black plastic piece to its bottom)
3) approximately 3" from the top of tile surface to the top of the black plastic piece ... so the drain starts at 3" below the surface of the tile floor

The distance from the concrete slab where the flange laid, to the top of the tile surface is roughly 1/2" to 5/8"

CaptainMurray

Reaction score
Adding a few more photos as these may be more clear. The PVC angles to the left soon after the end of the straight piece. maybe could get 3/4" more straight depth though.

(When I put my finger down under the bottom lip of the black piece (it's about 1/4" thick) I can feel the PVC pipe that is it's attached/glued too)

IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks