Cup seals always need replacement after year's time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Robinsane

Reaction score
I have an older 2" water well, above ground 1hp pump. Water level is around 17' down. I have replaced the cup seals a few times and when replaced they work well for maybe close to a year before they start leaking and cause the pump to cycle maybe every half hour. When I pull the drop pipe, the seals are worn away in some matter. There are two seals and they are installed open side up and work fine for a time, but I have to replace them about once a year. I live in Florida and have high Iron but otherwise very good water. Is there something I should be aware of or some other type of seal I could use. When installing drop pipe with the new seals, they seem to push down the casing with moderate but not extreme tension. I have shortened the pipe to place the seals in another area of the casing, thinking it my have been in a rough area and still have the issue Any thoughts? Thanks.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
With such a high water level you could switch to a shallow well jet pump. If the well doesn't draw down.

Where do you buy your leathers? Try switching brands and suppliers. Next time you pull it drop some solid chlorine down the well and use a different brand of leathers. Also modify your drop pipe to set the leathers in a different location.

I have a few that need to be pulled often as well. It's the biological things eating them up.

Robinsane

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I have bought the leathers from a well supply house and from a well drilling/pump repair business and a set off the internet and I have shortened the drop pipe by 14" to place the seals in another location in the casing and still have the same issue. It was mentioned by one well driller I talked to that it could be the Iron/Calcium in my water also. Not to sure about the type of jet pump I have, was under the impression it was a shallow well jet, but have no idea as to the accuracy of that statement. Maybe I'm just destined to change them out once a year. Thank you for your time and reply.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not to sure about the type of jet pump I have, was under the impression it was a shallow well jet, but have no idea as to the accuracy of that statement.
A shallow well jet pump would have no such seals/leathers. There would be a single pipe from the pump.

You could be using a convertible pump that could be used either way.

I suggest you post a picture of one of your failed seals/leathers. See if they look like what people get more live out of.

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you chlorinating when you replace them? I would do that and then once per year. It will help.

It takes a special procedure to chlorinate a 2" well like yours.

Last edited:

Robinsane

Reaction score
Not chlorinating, never even heard of it before. What would I need to do that for if I may ask? There is just a single pipe going down inside the casing with two seals about 15' down and a brass check valve/jet then another smaller pipe extending about 30" below that, that screws into the bottom of the brass thing.
I'm not a well guy so maybe I have no idea what I have. I know the pump has some kind of adjustable thing off the side of it, that is cast iron with a long 1/4" threaded adjustment bolt/screw, kind of looks like a regulator. I know it's a 2" casing with just the one pipe down the well and a casting the pump mounts to with two large holes that match the bottom of the pump with a gasket between them and two threaded holes for the casting to mount to the pump. Then the casting/mount on top of the casing best I remember has a two bolt ring that slips over the outside of the casing and I think there is a rubber doughnut between the casing and ring that when you tighten the bolts, seals off the casing. It's been almost a year sense I last replaced them so not to sure if there is some kind of flange there, but I would think there has to be something to cause the two (casting and ring) to make a seal as you tighten the two bolts on the ring that slips over the outside of the casing.
I grabbed some pics off the net that best I remember is what I have, it is a Goulds pump and motor just as seen in the pic but don't remember there ever being the SJ on it. It was rebuilt and repainted so it could have been. The other pic is of whats on the single pipe hanging down inside the casing with the seals on it, then I think about 30" of slightly smaller pipe extending from it.
I am so feeling stupid at this point as I know nothing about what I have, only what I remember and replaced.

Attachments

• leather cup seal.jpg
    leather cup seal.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,015
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 550
  • jet.jpg
    jet.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 627

Robinsane

Reaction score
Did some more reading on the site and saw this from Texas Wellman: "Sounds more like he has a 2" well with a 1.25" drop line ( couplings barely fit inside the casing). The well seal or as I call them well head or casing adapter seals the well and allows your pump to feed water back down to the jet using the space between the drop pipe and the casing."

This sounds like what I have, so maybe its a "packer" and not a jet well. Feeling real dumb right about now, lol.

Reach4

Reaction score
You have something like this:
index.php

There can be a tailpipe extending down below the leathers that could be as much as 35 ft. The tailpipe could draw water reliably 25 ft below the ejector/jet.... sometimes more than one word applies.

Robinsane

Reaction score
Yes Reach4, that looks like it best I remember, with the exception the motor and pump housing sits right on top of the casing adapter.

Robinsane

Reaction score
Last question please. If I wish to order (internet) some cup leathers for my well (2") casing, what size do I order? When I did a google search for 2" cup leathers, I see different sizes like 2" x 1-1/4, is this what I need for a 2" casing? I have always gotten them from a well drillers place or from a well and pipe supply house and just said I need them for a 2" well and took what they gave me and installed them. So is that the correct size or are there others for a 2" well? Thank you all for your advice and information.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let me look around. I have found a size through the years that fits a 2" well and jet the best. It's like 2 1/4 x 1" or close to that. I'll have to look at the inventory.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks