Crimp Rings Bad Batch ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Well ... this is a new one for me. I was working on my bathtub swap out project, which included replacing the shower valve and temporarily moving a baseboard hot water heater. About 1/2 way through, I opened a new bag of copper crimp rings (Sharkbite Brand). All of a sudden, the rings did not want to go on the pipe and would not pass the 'Go' test. I went to the store and got a different brand (Aquadynamic) and the problem instantly resolved. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Eman85

Reaction score
I just opened and used some of a new bag Sharkbite 3/4" copper rings and they were fine. My 1/2" bag is a little older and they're fine.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I just opened and used some of a new bag Sharkbite 3/4" copper rings and they were fine. My 1/2" bag is a little older and they're fine.
I am not anti-Sharkbite … I have used them previously with no problems. I just switched brands to make sure I did not get another bag from the same production run.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Well ... this is a new one for me. I was working on my bathtub swap out project, which included replacing the shower valve and temporarily moving a baseboard hot water heater. About 1/2 way through, I opened a new bag of copper crimp rings (Sharkbite Brand). All of a sudden, the rings did not want to go on the pipe and would not pass the 'Go' test. I went to the store and got a different brand (Aquadynamic) and the problem instantly resolved. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Did you mic them and compare to the Aquadynamic rings? I wonder if they are for something else and got bagged wrong.

John

Reach4

Reaction score
Did you mic them and compare to the Aquadynamic rings? I wonder if they are for something else and got bagged wrong.

John
Such as they are copper color, instead of the regular black one. The Sharkbite PB transition couplers use a black ring for the PEX side and a copper-colored ring for the PB side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks