Cracks forming next to plastic Uponor fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
For what it's worth my water has no chlorine in it.

On a well then?

Do you know how the pipe and fittings for this install were stored? Many speculate that UV light exposure could lead to problems with all PEX, but maybe Uponor more than others. Are the fittings that show yellowing exposed to indirect/reflected outdoor light or fluorescent or LED light fixtures? If there are any fittings in that install that are less exposed to any light, maybe compare them.

Regarding the yellowing, here's my amateur thought on this. I've seen a lot of images on line (not personal experience) of split and failed Uponor pipe. In every case, none of the failed pipe examples was free from yellowing... Is there a connection? I don't know.

John

monkeyman9

Reaction score
On a well then?

Do you know how the pipe and fittings for this install were stored? Many speculate that UV light exposure could lead to problems with all PEX, but maybe Uponor more than others. Are the fittings that show yellowing exposed to indirect/reflected outdoor light or fluorescent or LED light fixtures? If there are any fittings in that install that are less exposed to any light, maybe compare them.

Regarding the yellowing, here's my amateur thought on this. I've seen a lot of images on line (not personal experience) of split and failed Uponor pipe. In every case, none of the failed pipe examples was free from yellowing... Is there a connection? I don't know.

John
My town water has no chlorine amazingly. Its town well water through UV sterlizer.
None if my pipes or rings get any sun. Which is why im surprised the 1in hot rings are getting pretty yellow. All basement with covered windows and LED lights maybe 30 min a day. In rhe barhroom burried in bath walls and under tub deck with no light exposure.

I stored all pipes in the white bags in a basement always. Fitting in my DeWalt organizer cases and those oddly arent yellow....

No cracks in pipe yet. I actually cut at one fitting to check after I saw the yellowing rings. Stretched the tube with my milwaukee m12 and no split....yet.

Since I have old tubing, im gonna make a closed test piece wirh rings and leave it in sun. See what happens.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I see the yellow-turned rings in dark spaces all the time. Not related to UV, nor an issue (to date). It is just the colored Uponor tube with the terminal problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks