Couldn't get this angle stop to come off

Users who are viewing this thread

Seiyafan

Reaction score
I have an angle stop under the sink that started leaking recently, I tried to remove the nut but it didn't budge, from the picture can you tell if that thing is soldered onto the pipe? What's the easiest way for me to remove the angle stop?

Edit: Okay, I removed it (just needed a bigger wrench, lol), turns out it's not compression but threaded. Now I just need to find such angle stop.

anglestop-old-ip-01.jpg

anglestop-old-ip-02.jpg

Last edited:

Seiyafan

Reaction score
One of the stops had a small puddle of water this morning, the bottom of the threaded connection was wet when I wiped with a tissue paper but I couldn't see any droplet forming, so it's leaking but slowly. Yesterday I applied Megaloc sealant and got it pretty tight. Should I tightened it another quarter turn or redo with PTFE tape and dope?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tight enough is a feeling you learn from turning wrenches for a number of years. it needs to be tight enough to not leak.. anything more isn't any better.

As Terry suggested above, you could cut the male adapter off and use a compression angle stop which is more the standard today. But you need to have a section of pipe with no solder or other deformation on it.

Seiyafan

Reaction score
I added 4 turns of tape (along with dope) and tightened it an additional 3/4 turn, now the leak has gone.
If a threaded connection doesn't leak in the first 24 hours then it's very unlikely for it to develop a leak in the near future if there is no corrosion or shock, right?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I added 4 turns of tape (along with dope) and tightened it an additional 3/4 turn, now the leak has gone.
If a threaded connection doesn't leak in the first 24 hours then it's very unlikely for it to develop a leak in the near future if there is no corrosion or shock, right?
Correct, without any external force or rust, the joint should never leak once its tight enough to not leak... We bury threaded joints in the wall because of this confidence.

Seiyafan

Reaction score
I see. I will be adding several big blue water filters at home and they all involve threaded joints, I am going to use press connections for this project and I am willing to spend extra for the Viega union fittings so any leak can still be fixed after the press is done.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
plastic threaded fittings are "Fun".. Be extra extra careful to not cross-thread those, its easy to do and will ruin the plastic housing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks