Could This Possibly Be Correctly Plumbed???

Users who are viewing this thread

BuckeyeBBQ

Reaction score
I'm currently replacing a fiberglass shower insert with a tiled shower. In preparation, I've done some demolition and need to move the vent pipe from the shower drain, in order to lengthen the shower by approx. 18". The vent currently runs up the far end wall of the shower. I expected to find it running laterally up in the ceiling area and connecting to other vent pipes running up through the roof stack. What I found is the shower vent stack pipe runs up and then crosses over and connects to the vent pipe coming off of the adjacent whirlpool tub. Neither vent pipe appears to be connected to a common stack somewhere above. Is this an allowable way to plumb adjacent vent stacks? I've read many posts here on proper venting distances, etc. and for the life of me I can't understand how this current setup could be correct or within code? I can see how the vents would each be able to pull air from the adjacent drain piping as long as they weren't liquid full, and we've had no discernible problems with draining, traps being dry or sewer odors from the drains. I've attached a diagram to illustrate the connections. I'd like to correct it now by finding the closest real vent stack connection if that's how it should have been plumbed in the first place.

tub-shower vent combo.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If those two pipes do not go up and through the roof, they must connect to a vent somewhere else to be correct. Code calls for the pipe to go up at least 42" above the floor or 6" above the flood plane of anything connected to the drain, whichever is higher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks