Cost of backup sump pump system

Users who are viewing this thread

perkydi

Reaction score
After 7 years in my townhome, my sump pump quit during a rainstorm and since it was late, I was unable to get a new pump or someone to put it in so I was powerless and just watched my finished basement get ruined. I am now pursuing a backup sump system. My question is this (and I only ask because i do not know much about the cost of plumbing services), is $1,500 way too much for a pedestal (I think and Aquanot) backup system? Any information you can give would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's a lot more than I would pay to get the job done but I'm a do-it-myself engineer.

Are you looking for a battery powered backup pump, or a backup (second pump) for your existing pump? I would expect to spend $500 to $800 for a really good battery powered backup system, or $250 to $500 for a second house-powered pump with alternating controls. That assumes that you have room for two pumps in your sump.

Do you know the model number or capacity of your existing pump? GPM and head (ft)

Pedestal pumps seem to be more expensive that the functionally equivalent submersibles. The concept dates back to before submersible motors were reliable and many people want to replace with what they have.

Come back with a bit more idea what you need and I will give you some specific ideas.

perkydi

Reaction score
I will bring my estimate with me to work and give you the exact information. The backup systems is suppose to be maintenance free (like I don't have to add water to the battery) just check the backup once a month and replace the battery every three years. I would not be able to do this myself, but I don't want to suffer another loss to my basement. So, tomorrow I will give you all the information. Thanks for answering so quickly.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
aquanot II back up sump is the best

I quoted someone 1200 today for the exact same unit you
are looking at

thats just in the ball park... it depends on whare you are living

usually we install a new sump pump and Aquanot II for about $1500

but that is not too far out of line....for the best one you can possibly buy...

that unit is actually good enough for a commercial building project..
I have seen it in plan specs before on banks, ect...

Nothing is truely maintaince free,
you still need to turn it on every month or so
to give it some exercise and clean out the silt from around the bottom of it..
also to make sure everything is in working order.......its just wise to do..

but you DO get what you pay for...read my info

everything else out there is simply junk and you will be sorry
someday,

all the other the cheap ones will break your heart.........
on some rainey day next year.....

http://www.weilhammerplumbing.com/services/

Last edited:

perkydi

Reaction score
Sum Pump Cost Answers

Thank you very much for your input (Weilhamer). I live in the Chicagoland area. I was afraid that because I am a woman, I might have been taken advantage of with respect to the quote and now I know that it was a fair quote. I, however, must make sure that it is the Aquanot II that the quote is for. I will look and get back to you. I really do know how it feels to watch your finished basement fill up with water and it is not pretty. Also, insurance does not pay for sump pump failure -- I learned that the hard way. Thanks again.

perkydi

Reaction score
Sump Pump Cost

I just noticed in your reply that you quoted $1200 for a new sump pump and the Aquanot II system. My quote was only for the Aquanot system. It would be an additional $461 to replace the sump pump I currently have - which I just replaced in July, 2005.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks