Correcting Exposed Direct Burial Splices

Users who are viewing this thread

kktalker

Reaction score
I recently bought a foreclosure that had been vacant for 2-3 years. The property is gated with a series of post lights along the wall at the front of the property. At either end of the front wall, gray direct burial cable for these post lights surfaces; 5-6 cables are spliced together into three nuts (one for each of the three wires: white, black, and bare). The wires are just sticking out of the ground exposed. Some have nuts (looks like they *used* to have gel in them) and some are just wrapped with electrical tape (!). Obviously, when it rains, the lights flicker or don't come on. (Where the DBC surfaces to power each post light, it is enclosed in flexible conduit.) What is the best way to correct these splices? I was thinking gel tube splice kits housed below grade in hand holes, but can the nuts/tubes handle 5-6 wires each? Should I be doing something different?

On one of the splice locations, it looks like an invasive weed has been cut back so many times, it has literally grown into a 6" diameter tree stump and is crowding out the DBC. That will be an interesting fix....

Reach4

Reaction score
I would consider soldering the connections. Clean well. Twist together well. Solder with a propane torch. Insulate and waterproof the splice really well. I am not an electrician.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Here is a way, used quite allot, for when wanting to install outdoor lights. It's put into the ground with the wires inside the 13 inch pipe. The top cap has a typical 1/2 thread for electrical fittings. You can find threaded caps in the electrical dept to seal it off. You might want to re-cut and strip back the wire so there be nice clean connections with new wire nuts. There might have been one there before with a light fixture since you stated that there were exposed wires.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Red-Dot-...wer-Outlet-Installation-Post-B805BR/100210000

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks