Control box to pump hp issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Lee

Reaction score
through troubleshooting and emptying wallet ive learned I have a locked up submersible well pump on my ranch. The existing one was a 1.5hp pump and the control box I replaced was a 1.5 hp box...(box is brand new and wired correctly).. the pump keeps tripping the reset on the box and a water week company came and said it is in fact a locked up pump as I thought it was...(180 bucks so I could be certain) my question is can the new 1.5hp box safely power a new 1hp pump.. as I was told by more than one person I have no need for a 1.5 hp pump on my small ranch with only a horse and goat as my livestock with one small trouph and a small house to get water to.... please help before I blow more money on something I could ruin or buy the 1.5 hp pump that's triple the cost of the 1hp..I would like to try and use the 1hp pump because it's cost efficient... and it's all I can afford at the moment.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Control box has to match pump hp. Overload ,capacitor (mfd) and relay that takes capacitor out of the circuit could be different. Pump hp has to be determined by depth of well , pipe size, length and gpm.

Reach4

Reaction score
With a 2-wire pump, you would not need a control box.

However, you are making a common mistake of identifying a pump by HP and not both HP and GPM. Usually cheap pumps have fewer stages and don't lift as well for a given amount of HP.

Do you know how far down your water is and/or how deep the well is?
as I was told by more than one person I have no need for a 1.5 hp pump on my small ranch with only a horse and goat as my livestock with one small trough and a small house to get water to
You must have given those people some info other than how much livestock you have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks