Control box and pump need help.

Users who are viewing this thread

tomtran

Reaction score
My house had no water this morning and I know some thing wrong with well system. I go head check power from pressure switch. It had power ok. I go to my 1.5 hp 3 wire control box. My hand tough metal from the box electric shock me. I check green wire from the pump. It had power
Would you tell me is my control box bad or my pump bad?
I pull my well pump up already the pump head is crack .
The wire look ok to me .
If I get the new pump what brand is last longer where to buy it, the pump I had right now I buy from tsc Lincoln ne
Please give me some input here I very need your guys help.thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pump head cracked because it is a cheap plastic pump. Water circulated around and around until the motor shorted. Starting a shorted motor probably destroyed the control box. Those plastic heads will work if you don't use too much Teflon and don't tighten too much and split them. Any other pump you get will be exactly the same on the inside, but you can get them with brass or SS heads instead of plastic. Pumps are no longer made to last, no matter what brand you choose. Eliminating the on/off cycling is the only way to get more life out of any pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
While you have the pump up, there are a few things that I think could be useful. Record the water level. You will probably be able to see it on the drop pipe.

You may want to check that your pump size and number of stages/ GPM is ideal. For that info that would help include the well depth, pump depth, likelihood of the water level dropping in wells in your area. How long your pump ran at a minimum when it ran, the size of the pressure tank.

Your pump may have been sized right. Maybe not.

I have no experience, but just read a bit.

tomtran

Reaction score
thanks so much i was contract with well company because I can not find any pump same size like old one. The well man say my pump to big for 190 ft he say go with 1 hp 3 wire pump.i say we used a lot of water well man say {la la la}but any way it will cost me 2000$ pump and labor. They sell me pump 1ooo$ .I think after had new pump we move to city,we are tire about well.thanks agian

Reach4

Reaction score
thanks so much i was contract with well company because I can not find any pump same size like old one. The well man say my pump to big for 190 ft he say go with 1 hp 3 wire pump.i say we used a lot of water well man say {la la la}but any way it will cost me 2000$ pump and labor. They sell me pump 1ooo$ .I think after had new pump we move to city,we are tire about well.thanks agian

You said you use a lot of water.
See http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/pworks/water/customer/rates.htm and estimate what your sewer and water bill would be.

If you set aside $40 per month, I would bet you could more than cover your water and sewer expenses. Your water and sewer bill could be twice that. Of course with city sewer, you would not have to be so careful what you put into the sewer and you could have a garbage disposal.

tomtran

Reaction score
You said you use a lot of water.
See http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/pworks/water/customer/rates.htm and estimate what your sewer and water bill would be.

If you set aside $40 per month, I would bet you could more than cover your water and sewer expenses. Your water and sewer bill could be twice that. Of course with city sewer, you would not have to be so careful what you put into the sewer and you could have a garbage disposal.
when I leave here in my house 17 years 3 time pump when bad ,every time go bad it cost me over thousand $

tomtran

Reaction score
final I have water ,Mosel company come over and install pump .they say all I need 1hp pump ,because well deep at 270ft .and water at 108 ft.i want go 1.5hp but they say too big

Reach4

Reaction score
Glad it is fixed. If you spend $1000 every 5 years, that would be about $17 per month.

The new smaller pump may last longer, strangely enough. If your pressure tank takes significantly less than a minute to fill, then spending some more money may save you money in the long run.

While you have your info handy, you may want to post it on or near your pressure tank. well deep at 270ft .and water at 108 ft pump data and date. How far down the pump was "set", type of downpipe (schedule 80 PVC with PVC couplers for example). It may be useful to you later, or at least for the next owner.

Some other things to consider is flushing your hot water tank, replacing the anode (may not be simple). Note that your water may be a little dirty for a bit while things settle. If you have a sediment filter, that could load up earlier. It is often a good idea to run the pump continually for maybe a day to let any debris wash out onto the lawn if temperatures permit.

tomtran

Reaction score
1hp is right pump for my house? I fell pressure loss water weak.i want well man install 1 1/2 hp but he say too big,when 2 shower turn on kitchen on I fell not like before.well man say my pesure tank small 1 1/2 pump need 2 minute running time .would I tell him put same size like my pump back on

Attachments

• IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 297

Reach4

Reaction score
This is a section of tables for the Goulds 10GS series. 10GS10 is 1 HP, and 10GS15 is 1.5 HP. The PSI chart corresponds to the water pressure at your gauge. Other brands would have similar numbers.
pix4.PNG

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I do not think this thread is a prank. I believe the op is Vietnamese "tom Tran".

I agree with your Wellman. 1 HP is plenty. Keep your pump from short cycling and your pump should last 12-20 years.

PS. There is a well known boat co here on the Texas coast " Tran Sport" also of Vietnamese heritage.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No apology necessary. The only thing worse than being out of water is having to pay for a new pump too often. Your pump man understands that cycling on and off is what destroys your pumps. He is trying to help you make the pump last longer by installing a smaller pump so it will have a 2 minute run time.

I agree the 1HP pump should be large enough to run 2 showers and a kitchen sink with good pressure. It is probably still cycling on/off while you are running 2 showers and a sink, which is why the pressure feels low. Check and see if the pump still slowly builds up to 60 PSI and shuts off while you are running 2 showers and a sink. If it does, then the pump is plenty large enough, and cycling on/off is why you have low pressure and also why your pumps don’t last very long.

If your pump is still cycling on/off while you are using water, adding a Cycle Stop Valve will give you much stronger constant pressure to the showers, while eliminating the cycling and making your pump last several times longer than normal.
If your pump man had installed a Cycle Stop Valve to begin with, you could have used as large a pump as you wanted, with any size tank you have, and your very first pump would still be working fine.

Most pump men just don’t know how a CSV works. But many understand that a CSV means they would only get to sell you 1 pump every 30 years or so, which is why they don’t mention a CSV.

But even with all you have spent on pumps over the years, $17 a month is cheap for being able to use all the water you want. I guarantee you a city water bill would cost you several times that much. Just think how cheap your water will be when you get a CSV installed and your pumps last 3 to 4 times longer than usual.

tomtran

Reaction score
No apology necessary. The only thing worse than being out of water is having to pay for a new pump too often. Your pump man understands that cycling on and off is what destroys your pumps. He is trying to help you make the pump last longer by installing a smaller pump so it will have a 2 minute run time.

I agree the 1HP pump should be large enough to run 2 showers and a kitchen sink with good pressure. It is probably still cycling on/off while you are running 2 showers and a sink, which is why the pressure feels low. Check and see if the pump still slowly builds up to 60 PSI and shuts off while you are running 2 showers and a sink. If it does, then the pump is plenty large enough, and cycling on/off is why you have low pressure and also why your pumps don’t last very long.

If your pump is still cycling on/off while you are using water, adding a Cycle Stop Valve will give you much stronger constant pressure to the showers, while eliminating the cycling and making your pump last several times longer than normal.
If your pump man had installed a Cycle Stop Valve to begin with, you could have used as large a pump as you wanted, with any size tank you have, and your very first pump would still be working fine.

Most pump men just don’t know how a CSV works. But many understand that a CSV means they would only get to sell you 1 pump every 30 years or so, which is why they don’t mention a CSV.

But even with all you have spent on pumps over the years, $17 a month is cheap for being able to use all the water you want. I guarantee you a city water bill would cost you several times that much. Just think how cheap your water will be when you get a CSV installed and your pumps last 3 to 4 times longer than usual.
Thank you to let me know, I don't fell very good to call back to complain him about the pump 1hp,i was tool him install 1 1/2 hp pump at the first time, my house was using a lot of water. car wash machine, water big water softener system{3 big tank}garden when most of thing turn on at one time ,the pump keep running @40psi it kind long time to me water lose pressure .my well man I don't thing he know munch as some one here. when the new pump run he test at the well 30 psi running
would I call then to put pump same size pump back on?

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the model number of the installed pump?

Water softener... the tanks should regenerate at different times in the middle of the night.

What model is your pressure tank?

tomtran

Reaction score
What is the model number of the installed pump?

Water softener... the tanks should regenerate at different times in the middle of the night.

What model is your pressure tank?
I up load picture would you check out ....water softner I had twin tank they regenerate every 600 gal i think

Attachments

• IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 327

Reach4

Reaction score
I did some searching. The S10KS10231 is the a member of the Sta-rite SKS series. It is the stainless steel version of the SK series. Your pump is a "10 GPM" 1 HP pump. I think your pump was made in November of 2013.

Your 86 gallon pressure tank is bigger than average, and that is very good. It is easy to see why you get that 2 minute run time.
Drawdown Gallons @ 30-50 PSI 26.58
Drawdown Gallons @ 40-60 PSI 23.03

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks