Confused about why fixing a toilet clog fixed all other plumbing in the house...

Users who are viewing this thread

alanwolf

Reaction score
Hi.
I have a single story house in Texas. The house has a linear layout. There is a septic field outside one end of the house (I'll call it the "right" end).
There are various bathrooms and sinks heading towards the left end of the house.
There is a toilet at the far left end of the house that had a clog.
I fixed with an auger. The cable from the auger only went a few feet before the clog disappeared.
Before I fixed the clog, other sinks and bathtubs backed up.
The moment the clog was fixed, gurgling noises at those sinks and tubs and then they were fixed.
I have ZERO plumbing knowledge.
I don't have a plumbing diagram for the house, but not sure that would help.
I've looked at various house plumbing diagrams on Google, but not clear why a clog at the far end, away from the septic, would interfere with things closer to the septic.
Can someone explain? And/or point me to a good diagram?
Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
How long since you had the septic pumped?

I am not picture how the closet auger use would help that, but I was thinking that you reduced your water usage while the blockage is in place.

Pumping the septic early is not expensive.

alanwolf

Reaction score
> sink and tub were vertically wet vented hence upstream of the clog

This took me some time and ChatGPT to understand, but I'm sure this is it.
Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks