Concealed Storage Behind a Bathroom Picture

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
So the mission today is to rig up a way of concealing some storage behind a couple of bathroom paintings. The original plan was to use a piano hinge but after spending so long making this bathroom look so good the thought of an exposed piano hinge makes me shutter.

That will not look very good.

I hit a couple supply house this morning and found a Euro Tray Hinge that I think I can install wrong way around to make a top lifting hinge system. No so sure it will work but I'm going to mock something up in my garage.

dscn1020.jpg

Knape & Vogt Euro-Tray Hinges

Hinges where sourced at Windsor Plywood North Vancouver and made by Knape & Vogt.

$20.00 for the pair.

This is the job they are suppose to do. I'm thinking they will work well for the picture. I'm hoping they don't close to fast and break the glass.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I could always do something like this but I worry the hinges mounted like that would not stick up to daily use.

completed-canvas.jpg

Another plan was a backer board and something like this.

secret-wall-safe-photo-frame-diversion.jpg

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I like the tray hinges, if they open a full 90°. A pair of soft closers opposite the hinges will help ensure the glass doesn't break. Closed cell weatherstripping would even work, and take up any gap between picture/wall for a finished look. Little projects like these are cool. Go get em, John.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Hey Vegas. I thought you left us. What have you been doing all Summer.

I mocked up the hinges and they suck. Can't hold the weight of the picture frame. Never mind the glass and print.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Hey Vegas. I thought you left us. What have you been doing all Summer.

I mocked up the hinges and they suck. Can't hold the weight of the picture frame. Never mind the glass and print.

Working my ass off. We got really busy. No complaints. I've been in and out of here reading. I'm watching you, Whipple. LOL

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could use drawer slides if there's room to move the frame sideways. Or up, but you would have to hold it up.

Reach4

Reaction score
Suppose you put wood strip on wall (shown green) and wood strip on picture (shown blue). Lift picture on and off.

pix_pict.png

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's kitchen cabinet hardware that hinges from the top and lifts up which might work for you.

You could counter weight the drawer slides to help lift, like the old double hung windows.

I just used two small hinges to mount a picture in front of a circuit breaker box.

koa-26.jpg

koa-27.jpg

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
There's kitchen cabinet hardware that hinges from the top and lifts up which might work for you.

You could counter weight the drawer slides to help lift, like the old double hung windows.

I just used two small hinges to mount a picture in front of a circuit breaker box.

Isn't that a violation of code ?

Have Fun.

DonL

Reaction score
You need to rethink it JW.

Just relocate the hing to the top, or side.

Who has pictures in their bathroom ?

Guess you are hiding Toys ? lol

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Not toys Don. LOL

It's not for me....... It's for my buddies little girl. So I'm thinking it will be for lipsticks, hair scrounges, brushes and on and on.

She only has here own Vanity with six drawers and two cupboard doors. Two shampoo niches. The girl needs room!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Would be nicer if I did not have to hold up the picture to take the second shot! I'm hoping the friction arm works or it's back to drawing board.

DonL

Reaction score
You could use a scissor hinge that locks open.

They work, but can cut your finger off.

If is is going to hold a firearm, it would be nice to have a push button lock on the bottom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks