Combo Wye+street 45° on horizontal run?

Users who are viewing this thread

iconoclast hero

Reaction score
3def3e7cc836beb07526bf5d8aeb3739fb3052bf-1.jpeg

Running a new 3" drain line across the studs shown and I want to pick up the old kitchen drain line as I go, convert it over to PVC. What's shown is a combo wye, 3×3×2 in. with a 2 in street 45° at an angle that appears workable. Is it cool to put a combo wye on a horizontal line like this?

iconoclast hero

Reaction score
Yes. There is a better way using a Y and 60 elbow but that is more technical to install.
Thanks. Sounds like
a) another trip to THD before I do this
b) something that will save me marginally on the wye+60° vs. the combo wye+45°

I need to verify I have the right fernco for the existing pipe so a) may be moot, but if it'll save me some aggravation when I do it, I'm cool with a bit more for the combo wye...

iconoclast hero

Reaction score
All above grade frubber couplings need to be the 2"+ long fully shielded type. "Fernco" can be slang for many things but most often refers to the 4"+ long unshielded type.

Cheers, Wayne
Good to know, I'll go get these next time I need to go to the store. I'm going to wait until next week so I don't run out of time today and then have THD closed tomorrow. If I can use the 4x3" service weight x PVC donut I have then I don't need the 4" one at all.

FWIW: I have a 3" drain line from a shower, lav, toilet that crosses about 40', picking up the kitchen drain along the way (so it can be converted over to 100% PVC when appropriate) and hits the old soil pipe. I'm going to come out of the 4" service pipe with a 4x3" donut into 3" PVC to a vertical 3x3x3x2 left-inlet sanitary tee into which the aforementioned 3" line will hit on the side with an LT 90°, the 2" line from the laundry sink the left inlet, and then the old bathroom will go in the top with another LT 90°. The old stuff is 3" vertical cast iron to a LT 90° and then 4" CI through the wall into the existing stack with an LT90°. The existing CI will terminate at the 90, fernco to an LT90° (until that bathroom is redone), 3 in PVC through the wall, LT 90° down to the stack...

Screenshot from 2023-12-23 22-46-31.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thats the couplings the angle is fine sounds like you have it figured out but I cant tell what it is you want to do the last pictures dont seem related to running a 3 inch line next to a stud wall.

iconoclast hero

Reaction score
Thats the couplings the angle is fine sounds like you have it figured out but I cant tell what it is you want to do the last pictures dont seem related to running a 3 inch line next to a stud wall.
So to provide some context, I am adding a bathroom to an addition. I come out of the toilet with a 3" combo wye that will have a cleanout though the crawlspace wall to the outside. From there to a 3×3×2 combo wye that picks up the sink and shower (possibly a mudroom sink later) from a double sanitary tee and that vents with 1.5" straight up through the roof. The 3" then runs to the old soil pipe about 35' across an old stud wall. (Customer removed carpeting and regular drywall from *damp* basement after purchasing 1.5 yrs ago.) It sneaks between the dryer and the wall and then will hit that 3×3×3×2 sanitary tee. I don't know what temperature I should expect from the effluent of a shower, but I would think that I can leave the pipe unsupported the depth of the dryer?

Attachments

• attachment (5).jpeg
    attachment (5).jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 35
  • attachment (6).jpeg
    attachment (6).jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 36
  • attachment (7).jpeg
    attachment (7).jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 37

iconoclast hero

Reaction score
I can get a better picture from under the crawlspace—I have to go down there at some point soon—but it should be fairly clear that the shown 3×3×2 combo wye is connected to a 3×3×3 combo wye behind it which received the toilet flange and will have a cleanout opposite the flow of the drain.

Attachments

• a659c7b71a683d9548c749caf442369b11fbc3ca-1.jpeg
    a659c7b71a683d9548c749caf442369b11fbc3ca-1.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 39

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the 3 inch probebly should have an additional support even a block down to the floor if its too hard to get behind dryer but not a real problem . looks good though your plan

iconoclast hero

Reaction score
I think the 3 inch probebly should have an additional support even a block down to the floor if its too hard to get behind dryer but not a real problem . looks good though your plan
Thanks. Yeah, I was looking at THD today for something that would support it laterally mounted on the block. Not 100% sure what I'm going to end up doing, but I can always build a bracket out of treated wood skids

iconoclast hero

Reaction score
I can get a better picture from under the crawlspace—I have to go down there at some point soon—but it should be fairly clear that the shown 3×3×2 combo wye is connected to a 3×3×3 combo wye behind it which received the toilet flange and will have a cleanout opposite the flow of the drain.
In looking back at it, I wish I'd dropped the whole line some. I'm going to have to go through some amount of solid block underneath the mudsill to punch outside. It would also have worked out better for the 2" double tee.

Attachments

• attachment (8).jpeg
    attachment (8).jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 42
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks