Cold showers after new water heater install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Shoestring

Reaction score
(New install) Bradford White 50-gallon atmospheric vent. Since install water at several locations is only around 110 F. (including shower near water heater). Water also fluctuates between 110 - 135 at times. Even on very high setting this is the case. There is a small sink near the tank that is supplied by a 1/2'' copper line from a "T" off the 3/4'' copper right above tank. For some reason this faucet is at 165F, while a shower close by supplied by the 3/4'' is 110F. Any advice would be appreciated. No problem before the new water heater was installed.

Shoestring

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! This is happening at more than one faucet. Is it possible for debris to be an issue after a water heater change out?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
If they are single-handle bath and shower faucets it will probably be the cartridges that need changing out..
if it is going on in common 2 handle lavatory faucets you have more of a mystery on your hands.....

most likely a bunch of junk went up the lines and is stuck in the faucets... if they are Delta or Moen it will be
easy to find the parts..... if they are some off brand like Tuscany or Price fister you are screwed

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Install a 27" heat sink on the CW line prior to connecting to the tank to prevent stratification of cold mixing with the hot .

This usually corrects erratic temperature fluctuations

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is this a recirc system? It sounds like there a cross connection between the hot and cold somewhere which is what Mark is eluding to.

Shoestring

Reaction score
Dual handle faucets upstairs at 130F. Single handle shower 100F. The thing is the water heater is on max temp and that sink in the basement tapped of the 3/4'' on top of the WH is at 165F. No recirc system.

Shoestring

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for all the great replies! I really appreciate all your help! I have some new information. After shutting off the cold water supply to the tank and draining off about 5 to 10 gallons the tank is quickly refilled by cold water entering through the hot side. It refills Within a couple of minutes. I am assuming one of the faucets is bad causing this to happen. What is the correct troubleshooting procedure. What about bath and shower faucets where I'm unable to shut off their supply?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a two faucet sink in the basement where you have connected the two with a mixer hose?

everbilt-washing-machine-parts-hrbfil02eb-64_100.jpg

Start there.

If you have nothing like that, turn off the supply to the WH. Run hot water, perhaps out of the WH drain. As the crossover passes water. At some place you may hear flow, feel flow, or feel the cold that the flow of cold water makes.

You could use an IR thermometer to measure metal supply line or valve temperatures, or use your hand to feel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks