Cold, hot water lines to new bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Rob1979

Reaction score
New bathroom install with no existing plumbing. Is it OK to bring the cold and hot water lines to that room with 1/2". There is really no where to tie into 3/4. There will be a shower, separate whirlpool, sink (lav) and toilet

Rob1979

Reaction score
Code would want 3/4" on the cold and 1/2" on the hot if you're less than fifty feet to the meter.
https://terrylove.com/watersize.htm

Normally I would want no more than two things on 1/2". You have four.

Make sure for the shower you have either pressure balance or thermal.
Thanks for the help! Maybe I will try to figure out a way to get to the 3/4. So 1/2 is ok for the hot? I want to add a manifold system to make it neat

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1/2" is pushing on hot since you have the tub and the shower. You might want to bring in two 1/2" hot lines.
At least it's just for the one bath, so it' unlikely that someone else will be working the other fixture.

Last edited:

Rob1979

Reaction score
1/2" is pushing on hot since you have the tub and the shower. You might want to bring in two 1/2" hot lines.
At least it's just for the one bath, so it' unlikely that someone else will be working the other fixture.
OK, here is the story. I am converting a double home to a single. On the side I am bringing water from is all 1/2". Only maybe a 5' section of 3/4 by the main. Can I come off the 1/2" with a 3/4 adapter to feed the new bathroom? Also, can I do the same directly from the water heater to feed the bathroom with hot. Basically convert the 1/2 to 3/4 just to feed the bathroom than back to 1/2.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The way the link works, is that you work backwards from the farthermost fixture. Using the chart, which lists distance from water meter, starting adding things up.
Is this being inspected. I would hate for you to do the work and then have it fail at inspection time.
And ideal thing would be to find the incoming 3/4" and tie into that for the cold, and for the hot, pull of the water heater which I assume is already 3/4". I mean, who plumbs a water heater with 1/2" anyway?

Rob1979

Reaction score
The way the link works, is that you work backwards from the farthermost fixture. Using the chart, which lists distance from water meter, starting adding things up.
Is this being inspected. I would hate for you to do the work and then have it fail at inspection time.
And ideal thing would be to find the incoming 3/4" and tie into that for the cold, and for the hot, pull of the water heater which I assume is already 3/4". I mean, who plumbs a water heater with 1/2" anyway?
Not having any inspections. The only 3/4 I have is black pipe and that's only cold. Really didn't want to disturb that. The hot water heater is plumbed with all pex 1/2". So I can't bump back up to 3/4?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
One thing I've found that is handy is an expansion tank to buffer the ups and downs of flow.
Going up a size helps with the friction loss. It may help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks