Choosing a pump

Users who are viewing this thread

bear

Reaction score
I am living on top a small mountain and have a hand dug well 200ft below my house. The well is 1 meter in diameter and 5 meters deep. I have endless water..

My problem is i cannot use a submersible pump due to theft in the area.

I would like to pump, suck, vacum, jet pump???? water up to a storage tank 200ft or so higher than the well. The pump needs to be next to or just below the storage tank which will gravity feed the bathroom and kitchen water.

Is this possible? which type of Pump, should i explore other options?

I dont feel comfortable leaving hardware inside the well due to river traffic in the dry season?

What do you think??

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't think any 2 line jet will work at 200+ feet; usually the max depth is not more than 150'-180' with an extension, and then they're not all that good.

It is right at the absolute limit yes. If it was me, I would find a way to put in a submersible and put perhaps a cement block pump house with a solid locking door to keep people out.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Hooking up a theft-alarm circuit that detects loss of continuity to the pump shouldn't be too hard. Do you want everyone to hear the alarm or just yourself?

bear

Reaction score
pumping

thanks guys, I think i figured out a system that will work.

I playing with the idea of a lightweight portable pump.. I think i will set up a tank halfway and pump into that larger tank say once every 2 weeks.. And then because of the proximity and location of this tank i will be able to manage theft and pressure..

I will wals down to the well with this 12 to 20 pound Honda pump , start her up and pump to the first large storage tank. then from there halfway up a steep mountain i can use a submersable or just walk up and pump it up to the gravity feed tank...

Most americans would think this is a lot of work .. BUt givin the past and the circumstances and the value of water it seem fine to me.. I am used to walking down anyway, throwing a bucket in the water and filling up old water bottles and walking them up..
this is a whole lot easier..

The idea of a alarmed locked well house is also an option and something i have been playing with also..
Thankyou
Hugging Bear

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks