Chlorine content - water turnover in supply line

Users who are viewing this thread

Midwest DIY'r

Reaction score
Had a real good conversation with the Water Company field service technician concerning our install and he brought up a water turnover issue that I had not previously considered. We are running approximately 850ft of pipe from the meter to the build site and calculated a 1-1/2" poly line line off a 1" meter to meet our needs given the supply pressure, fixture count and elevation rise.

He mentioned we are towards the end of the branch line from the plant and had concerns of the chlorine concentration in a 1.5" line as we are not going to have a heavy water supply demand (2 of us in the house with some livestock in the pasture). I have not heard of, nor considered the water turnover within the pipe, he said from a safety standpoint a 1-1/4" supply line might be a better choice. Any thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
I see your point. You might want to get some sensitive chlorine strips to see if there is any residual. For low range testing, LAMOTTE 2963LR-G .25 ppm to 10 ppm chlorine test sensitivity, looks good. If the water company uses chloramine, then different strips might be called for. https://www.hach.com/p-chlorine-fre...MIvayWu9OcgwMVJRStBh3UnQ0XEAQYASABEgJTDfD_BwE would be more sensitive.

If no residual chlorine, you might sanitize your pipe and plumbing, as you would if you had your own well. If you don't do supply plumbing work, you should not have to re-do that. If the bacteria are dead, they cannot grow, even if the chlorine drops to zero.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
1.250 x850' =54 gal
1.5 x850'= 78 gal
Person per day 100 gallons clothes washing ,bathing., cooking, drinking and toilets
7.48 gallons per cu ft
Read your meter
Can buy chlorine test strips

Last edited:

Midwest DIY'r

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, but these are post installation testing solutions to determine if we have a sufficient amount of chlorine in the supply system.

I'm trying to determine if I should install 1-1/4" pipe to mitigate the chlorine issues to increase the water turnover rate in the supply or go with the originally planned 1-1/2" given the distance and elevation rise as the chlorine issue is not really a concern. Looking for pipe size recommendations concerning the chlorine issue if this is a concern anywhere else in the country. Thanks for the assistance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks