Ceiling Fan Reverse Switch - Pull Chain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jed1154

Reaction score
I have a fan that the switch had broken in. The chain pulled out. The thing is, it's a pull chain for the reverse selector. I don't have any other fans like this, most have switches. Anyway, is there anything special about the switch I need to buy? I can't find anything other than light switches and speed switches, but this switch seems to be neither.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Never seen one, it must be a old unit and it'll probably be easier just to buy a new fan.

Fan light kits that usually had four lights did have a pull chain that would turn in 2 of the 4 lights, another pull it turn on all the lights. It maybe the same type of switch, however, lately on new fan that I have purchased, it only seems to be one pull is on or off for all four lights.

You may to look into a four bulb light kit if you want to keep the fan.

Last edited:

Jed1154

Reaction score
It ain't that old, 7 years maybe. Its a Hunter. Ill get the model number off the part and replace it with similar. The pull chain is for the motor reverse.

Last edited:

Jed1154

Reaction score
I got excited because I had a take down fan exactly like this one. I pulled the part out, tested it, and on the second pull...the chain came out. Exact same failure. LOL.

China strikes again.

Jed1154

Reaction score
I have identified the issue. The issue is the reverse switch. I have a new switch with identical numbers and part number and model numbers and catalog numbers, but they do not operate the same. I split open the old one and saw how it worked. I wire nutted my wires accordingly and the fan works. If I need it to reverse, I have to wire nut a different combination.

I need pull type reverse switch that has TWO POSITIONS and four wires. Both positions are ON. One with L-1, 2-3 and the other pull is 1-2, L-3.

Ain't finding that at the box store.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It should be the same as a conventional "4 way switch". Position one connects 1-3 and 2-4. Reverse criss crosses them so 1-4 and 2-3. terminals 1, 2,3, and 4 depend on the actual switch terminology.

Jed1154

Reaction score
Interestingly, I ended up getting a switch from her. However, before I did, I also fixed my old switch by drilling out the rivets, using the new ratchet on the old wafer, and securing it together with cotter pins. Works like brand new, and now I have a spare.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks