Cast Iron Radiator Re-Pipe to Pex Home Runs

Users who are viewing this thread

cshorett

Reaction score
I am preparing to re-pipe my home's early 1900s cast iron radiator system from black iron branch arms to a 1/2" pex-al-pex home run system. The home has 12 radiators - 6 upstairs and 6 downstairs. The boiler is in the basement and the ceiling is now fully exposed, allowing access to riser ends which I plan to use as my tie-in connection for each rad. PAP will run back to a 12-port Caleffi inverted manifold with horizontal runs of varying length but all <65'. I do not plan to zone at this time. Basement heat will be provided via a new mini-split system.

A few questions:
- Planning PAP vs. hePEX given concerns over expansion noise and stretch w/ high temp distribution. Not a lot of providers out there these days w/ Uponor Multicore and Viega Fostapex seemingly off the market. Any product recommendations?
- Zoning upstairs vs. downstairs would be nice, but I've only seen individual loop valves which get spendy and complex w/ 12-ports. Is there a manifold zoning option I should be exploring with two 6-port manifolds instead?

Appreciate any guidance!

HarmonyMathews

Reaction score
I've been through a similar project, and it's quite a task! I went with PAP and didn't experience much noise or stretch issues. For zoning, I'd recommend looking into larger manifolds or separate 6-port manifolds for each floor if you can manage the space and cost. And you can find the best radiators at Radiator Village. Good luck with your project!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks