Cast Iron Pipes with Gooey Stalactites

Users who are viewing this thread

Suzanne Vorlicek

Reaction score
Website
www.scvdesigns-inc.com
Here's the background: I have a long pipe in the ceiling of my garage. It's a detached garage with a small one bedroom apartment above it. All the plumbing for that apartment is on the ceiling of the garage. I am told the apartment was built around 1970.

There is a pipe about 4 or 5 inches in diameter made of some kind of metal (iron?), that's about 15 feet long. It's got these gooey rusty stalactites dripping all along the length of it. I have pics below. Is this a real problem? Are these pipes OK to get snaked out whenever they get clogged? I am worried they might be fragile. Are they reaching the end of their life? Should I have them replaced?

Pipes DM 6.jpg Pipes DM 7.jpg

Attachments

• Pipe DM 1.jpg
    Pipe DM 1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 480
  • Pipes DM 5.jpg
    Pipes DM 5.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 296
  • Pipes DM 4.jpg
    Pipes DM 4.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 297
  • Pipe DM 2.jpg
    Pipe DM 2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 323

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
There was a TV ad back in the '60s that advised: "Once in every week, Drano in every drain." Maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks