Can Electric Panel be Located in Closet

Users who are viewing this thread

J Blow

Reaction score
So, in a bedroom, at what size does a 'closet' become big enough for a panel? My plan was to use a bedroom closet as storage on one end with the panel on the other. It will have the 30 inches and 36 inches clear so would make it ok? All together it would be a 3 x 8 but I suppose it could be made bigger or even separated if it matters? If I do turn just that into a panel room, so to speak, is there a size there that it has to be?

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
2005 NEC:

240.24 Location in or on Premises
(D)Not in Vicinity of Easily Ignitible Material -Overcurrent devices shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitible material, such as in clothes closets.
Examples of locations where combustible materials may be stored are linen closets, paper storage closets, and clothes closets.

J Blow

Reaction score
How would vicinity normally be defined? Would some sort of divider be required or just so that clothes or ignitable materials shouldn't be within a certain distance?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
How would vicinity normally be defined? Would some sort of divider be required or just so that clothes or ignitable materials shouldn't be within a certain distance?
The idea is to prevent fires. A 240 volt panel with as little as a 10kva fault can throw molten metal several feet. Should this molten metal be able to hit something flammable then I would say that the flammable would be in the vicinity.

Electrical firesThe most inclusive and direct interpretation of “electrical fire” is a fire involving some type of electrical failure or malfunction. Any equipment powered by electricity can have such a failure.
In 2011, an estimated 47,700 home structure fires reported to U.S. fire departments involved some type of electrical failure or malfunction as a factor contributing to ignition. These fires resulted in 418 civilian deaths, 1,570 civilian injuries, and $1.4 billion in direct property damage. In 2007-2011, home electrical fires represented 13% of total home structure fires, 18% of associated civilian deaths, 11% of associated civilian injuries, and 20% of associated direct property damage.

I don’t suppose that the above paragraph means much unless you are included in that 47,700. If you was one of the 418 you wouldn’t be able to read this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks